BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Locating Jobs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there anywhere someone can look to see the firms that use ArchiCAD so you can apply or submit resumes to the correct people? I live in Nashville TN and if I just blindly put out resumes to every firm or construction firm or any potential AC client that would be over 400 resumes. At .42 for postage thats a hefty price to get your name out there.

I know the market is slow and not a lot are hiring but I would still like to get my name out there so when it does pick up I know exactly who to send my resume/portfolio to. I know the resellers have a list of clients but they have their own businesses to run and probably don't want to give out a list of names to people. (Which I don't blame them)

Just trying to figure out how to get my info to the right people.
45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dave's advice is truly excellent! I will definitely refer this post to archicad users and non archicad alike.

I do a fair bit of long distance working myself.
One thing that I would add is that you can make yourself more competitive and more 'compatible' to potential clients by providing a local touch.
For example I am thousands of miles away from the UK (although it is my '2nd home' so I know it well) - so even when I am not there I have a London address (which scans and emails post) and a London number via skype. I have probably done as many planning applications from outside the uk as when I am there.

I also use a lot of other tools that are indispensable such as ... and focus/concentration is a very big deal, so also (for mac)
concentrate
and isolator

The list goes on but I don't want to bore. I'm surprised myself when i step back and look at how much I use day to day

good luck
Anonymous
Not applicable
Amazing wisdom and knowledge Dave!
Thanks for the links amonle.

And then there's my little world, where I meet all my clients directly.
It's always in their home face to face and their dog at my feet or their cat in my lap, (nice kitty):-)
Know who your clients are ahead of time.
How so, you say?
I picked a section of my area (that I like to visit/work in) and have been mailing to the same 6,000 homes for the last 18 yrs.
The cycle of familiarity and referrals go hand and hand.
Over the years I've built up a cycle of "friends".
You won't get rich this way, but;
Pretty simple and pleasant lifestyle actually:-)
Anonymous
Not applicable
I understand that remote working is not a viable solution for employers .
They don feel the project if they split the building.
If REMOTE working in not a good solution maybe Graphisoft make a bad decision losing 2 years to developing Teamwork , instead other modeling tools for accuracy and productivity .
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
archibaldo wrote:
If REMOTE working in not a good solution maybe Graphisoft make a bad decision losing 2 years to developing Teamwork , instead other modeling tools for accuracy and productivity .
Remote working in the context of the BIM Server may mean two offices of the same firm that are not located at the same place. Or you and your consultants working on the same shared project. The list can go on.
So I think it is not a wasted effort by far.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
archibaldo wrote:
it is exactly the opposite.
With teamwork, you do not split the model.
Remote working is another point.
Teamwork is basically a tool for collaboration.
Even small firms like mine (4 people) can use it.
Not always easy but much better than others solutions.
Ask ACAD users, they use X-refs...Very sophisticated
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok i was wrong . I have not experience in teamwork , but i have other wishes more importants for me in modelling accuracy .
In section or vectorial perspective surfaces or shadow fills and lines fills are fragmented .
I must do a manual cleaning by merging surfaces and overlapped lines . Archicad must have an option to do that by default ... etc
Learn and get certified!