Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Locating Jobs

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there anywhere someone can look to see the firms that use ArchiCAD so you can apply or submit resumes to the correct people? I live in Nashville TN and if I just blindly put out resumes to every firm or construction firm or any potential AC client that would be over 400 resumes. At .42 for postage thats a hefty price to get your name out there.

I know the market is slow and not a lot are hiring but I would still like to get my name out there so when it does pick up I know exactly who to send my resume/portfolio to. I know the resellers have a list of clients but they have their own businesses to run and probably don't want to give out a list of names to people. (Which I don't blame them)

Just trying to figure out how to get my info to the right people.
45 REPLIES 45
Anonymous
Not applicable
P.S. with me also knowing Revit, I would hate to leave AC to go work for a Revit based firm just because i couldn't find out who to send my info to.

THAT would be a crime.
Dwight
Newcomer
And you would probably like to know which of them have jobs available...

http://www.graphisoft.com/community/job_board/
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah I know about that board. Only like 40% of people actually advertise for jobs. I have always gotten jobs because of them knowing who I was before the hiring started. They always put you on file so when they do start they have a file to start with. That job board is lacking in my opinion.

Besides, sending your resume to people before hand with the specific skills one possesses may warrant a hire when they weren't initially looking. I just didn't know if there was a different route to look for people that use AC so they can be contacted if a need ever arises. (The two firms I worked for that used AC never post or check those boards)

I am putting off going to the Revit network for as long as possible because I wanna stick with what works. ArchiCAD.
Wouldn't your local reseller be a good source of firm names?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
JLKilgore wrote:
Is there anywhere someone can look to see the firms that use ArchiCAD so you can apply or submit resumes to the correct people? I live in Nashville TN...
Placement Support/Info for ArchiCAD users has always been limited.

Spare yourself the heartache...Do you have a current position in a firm using ArchiCAD? If so, do your best to hold onto it. Finding a position in an ArchiCAD firm, especially in your area, can be like "finding a needle in a haystack."

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, your best option is to "hang your own shingle out" and start providing contract design and documentation services using ArchiCAD to any and all takers. In this economy, most firms are more likely to outsource than they are to hire new employees.

Good Luck in your search
Anonymous
Not applicable
If I could only afford to buy ArchiCAD to do that.

Remember me from SLC a few years back? Me, Scott Riggle and Rob Burkhart? Let's not forget David Larrew.
Anonymous
Not applicable
JLKilgore wrote:
...Remember me from SLC a few years back? Me, Scott Riggle and Rob Burkhart? Let's not forget David Larrew...
Yes sir I do, I hope everyone is doing well. PM me with some contact info and I'll get in touch with some ideas about how you can venture out within your local area.

Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think you are being a bit naive if you think you can pick a job by choosing a firm that uses only a certain type of CAD software.

To stand any chance of getting a job you need to be flexible and that means being able to certainly use Autocad, Revit, possibly also Microstation, but Archicad is a very low on that list. Autocad is the tool of choice for most and will remain so for the foreseeable future especially with the persent economic climate.

If you want to do fancy images learn 3ds Max. If you want to get a job as an architect you need to use Autocad full stop. Archicad is interesting distration but you wont get a job with a firm that uses it. I have worked for about 15 firms in my time and of those one used Archicad (but not the 3d bits), 1 used Microstation, all the rest used 2d Autocad. Admittedly things are changing a little bit lover the last few years but I have little evidence many firms at all use either Revit or Archicad despite what the salespeople would like to think. If you want to get into BIM modelling Revit would be a far better choice but BIM is still being used minimally in architecture today.

Do yourself a favour, learn 3dsMax, do some fancy images for your portfolio, learn Autocad, and take a project management course and you will find a job quick enough.
Anonymous
Not applicable
nats wrote:
I think you are being a bit naive if you think you can pick a job by choosing a firm that uses only a certain type of CAD software.

To stand any chance of getting a job you need to be flexible and that means being able to certainly use Autocad, Revit, possibly also Microstation, but Archicad is a very low on that list. Autocad is the tool of choice for most and will remain so for the foreseeable future especially with the persent economic climate.

If you want to do fancy images learn 3ds Max. If you want to get a job as an architect you need to use Autocad full stop. Archicad is interesting distration but you wont get a job with a firm that uses it. I have worked for about 15 firms in my time and of those one used Archicad (but not the 3d bits), 1 used Microstation, all the rest used 2d Autocad. Admittedly things are changing a little bit lover the last few years but I have little evidence many firms at all use either Revit or Archicad despite what the salespeople would like to think. If you want to get into BIM modelling Revit would be a far better choice but BIM is still being used minimally in architecture today.

Do yourself a favour, learn 3dsMax, do some fancy images for your portfolio, learn Autocad, and take a project management course and you will find a job quick enough.
good luck again and foremost, do not listen to this expert troll