Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Locked Objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm working on my senior project and have I placed some objects (Toilets, Urinals, Cabinets, etc) in my plan. I need to edit the objects, change the height, pen color, rotate but the object acts as if its un-editable. I'm able to open the Object Selection Settings, but the OK box is greyed out, also when I click on that object, its selection color is a lighter green versus the dark green selection.

It seems like its acting as if I don't have the item 'reserved,' even though I'm in a Single File. (I've worked in teamwork so I have a good idea how that system works).

This only seems to be happening with certain objects I've placed. There are some (toilet partitions, refrigerators) that are fully editable and working fine.

I'm using ArchiCAD 14 - Student with the Cadimage plugin installed. I'm also working on an underpowered computer at school: XP-SP3, Pentium 4, 3.0Ghz, 1gb of Ram.

**The specs in my signature are for my home PC**

Any ideas as to why these objects are locked out from being able to be edited?
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Are the objects on a layer that is locked? Or, select and check the Edit> Locking status to see if they have somehow been locked individually.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
Are the objects on a layer that is locked? Or, select and check the Edit> Locking status to see if they have somehow been locked individually.
For some reason, that was the problem! I've been using ArchiCAD for 3 years and I didn't know that existed and I have no idea how or why certain objects became locked. I have to click each individual item and then go Edit>Unlock, but that solved the issue! Thanks for the help!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is an "Unlock All" option (AC11 shown, yours may vary)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have seen this issue and it is related to the MEP Modeler.
When the MEP Modeler is installed, library parts with MEP connection (e.g. Sinks, Urinals etc.) become MEP-type library parts and can be edited in the appropriate MEP Tool, not with the Object Tool.
When the MEP Modeler is uninstalled, they again become Objects but they become locked. You need to unlock these. The easiest way is to show all Objects in 3D with 3D Filtering, then select them and unlock them.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laszlonagy has it I think. I forgot I had installed MEP modeler on my home PC and not on my school one. I didn't know that it would cause a lockup of objects though.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Good you say this because there is an addition:
I you open a file with MEP installed, the library parts will be converted to MEP types.
If this file is opened with an ArchiCAD with no MEP, those types will become locked.
Yes, the best is to have MEP installed on all machines were you work on that file.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27