Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

MOD file multi-storey import

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've read multiple posts on bringing in multi-story projects i'm still wondering if its still a problem cause i'm trying cause i have 4 buildings over a site with different storey settings i'm not really keen on mod filing every 'storey that is in which would take a long time and single storey import wont work cause of the solid element operation is not allowing my to subtract from the mod file to mod file.

help?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jorden,

How many storeys per building?

What are you trying to achieve by having all buildings referenced into single file (Site sections? Site elevations? 3D views)? If you only need plans you could place floor plan views on layouts of site.

If you still need single file you only have to do this once, shouldn't take too long (took me about two hours to set up a project where we had six thirteen storey towers on a site)

Regards,
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
sboydturner wrote:
Jorden,

How many storeys per building?

What are you trying to achieve by having all buildings referenced into single file (Site sections? Site elevations? 3D views)? If you only need plans you could place floor plan views on layouts of site.

If you still need single file you only have to do this once, shouldn't take too long (took me about two hours to set up a project where we had six thirteen storey towers on a site)

Regards,
Scott

I have 4 buildings i need to do site layout, sections, elevations, and 3D views all different heights ranging from 7-15 with double storey penthouses that have different storey heights. Each building will be detailed later in the building file

When bring in each storey in as a separate mod of bring in a single level from a mod I then cant use SOE on a mod. I'm sort of at a stand still till i can resolve this or i bring in each building as a library part for 3d's, elevation and section but i would of preferred to be able to control layers, its sort of annoying the mod file its like it has to be absolutely perfect conditions to be able to use it there isn't much leniency in things I've found.

how did you set up your file? was it in similar relation to my situation?
Anonymous
Not applicable
What are you using SEO's for over multiple storeys? If it is just to trim walls to roof (or similar) you could use the less versatile but more "fixed" crop to roof, which will remain permanent with storey by storey modules.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
What are you using SEO's for over multiple storeys? If it is just to trim walls to roof (or similar) you could use the less versatile but more "fixed" crop to roof, which will remain permanent with storey by storey modules.

I'm subtracting walls from slabs because of different colour variations crop tool would not work in this instance
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jorden,

My project had differing floor to floor heights from building to building and differing ground floor levels, overall site model was for coordination and overall site elevations, sections and 3d views.

Each building was documented in a separate file.

Walls are all single storey, if I have a double height space I just stack the walls on top of each other (gets a little trickier with raking and curving walls but just makes you work things out earlier), make sure doors and windows have their elevation set relative to wall base and not to storey.

I generally do not use many SEO's as I find that they can quickly bog down a project, the walls with the angled end cut I would just do with a trim to single plane roof, if you want a different finish on the cut end just leave the cutting roof with 0 thickness and having desired finish.

Hope this helps,
Scott
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had problems with this too...and its a real pain where buildings have different floor to floors.
IN the end I had to use a variety of methods:
Hotlink plans so I could show internal walls etc in a overall plan view of the site.
For a visualisation model I had to create library parts of each building (yes the whole thing!) and then place them in correct locations and heights on the site plan. Not great but at least the integrity of each building was retained.
Anonymous
Not applicable
rwallis wrote:
I've had problems with this too...and its a real pain where buildings have different floor to floors.
IN the end I had to use a variety of methods:
Hotlink plans so I could show internal walls etc in a overall plan view of the site.
For a visualisation model I had to create library parts of each building (yes the whole thing!) and then place them in correct locations and heights on the site plan. Not great but at least the integrity of each building was retained.
The save as GDL is the old tried and true method and still best in some cases. I wish it were possible to publish them though to make the process a bit more automatic.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Agree - adding the ability to publish library parts in this scenario would be great.
owen
Newcomer
The inability to SEO between MODs is a stupid limitation and this is a good example of why. Hotlinked elements retain their GUIDs with update so i cannot understand why this limitation was imposed - element A and element B can be matched via GUID and so SEO'd.

but GS says it cannot be (so we have lots of broken hotlinks just because we cannot SEO between them to cleanup/trim .. fortunately some will be fixed with the new AC17 BM junctions)

Another solution which would solve this specific example (but not all need for SEO between Hotlinks) is to provide an option to place a Multi-Storey Hotlink and 'Keep Source Hotlink Story Relationships' or some such .. i.e let you place a multi-storey hotlink with a different storey height structure and have it stick together as it is in the source file rather than exploding (or compacting) into the story structure of the host file

cheers,

os
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5