BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Mesh desappeared

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know why my mesh has suddenly gone invisible? I can still see it on the floor plans but not in 3D.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
I opened my file and I noticed an odd, tall, spike in the 3D topography, indicating an incorrect elevation point. After checking a section and plan view, which appeared normal, I opened back up the 3D view, and the mesh was not showing. I checked the layer and layer combinations. Then I checked the 3D filters, the Show All In 3D and undid all the SEOs performed on the mesh, and still no mesh. I redid all the SEOs. At this point the mesh was evident in plan view but not in section or 3D. I then read that the mesh can be sensitive to edits, particularly when the mesh might have a lot of points. So, in plan view, I used the split tool to cut off a part of the mesh, and the 3D mesh reappeared. I then corrected the errant point elevation and the model was back to normal. That took about an hour. But I learned that the mesh can be kind of sensitive.

AC21
iMac 27-inch late 2009, 2.8 i7, 12GB RAM,

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Did you perform Solid Element Operations on the Mesh? One of them might have caused this.
Or editing the Mesh might have somehow created an invalid Mesh body, which cannot be generated in 3D. I have seen this happen before.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy wrote:
Did you perform Solid Element Operations on the Mesh? One of them might have caused this.
Or editing the Mesh might have somehow created an invalid Mesh body, which cannot be generated in 3D. I have seen this happen before.
I did edit the mesh by selecting it and then choosing the "-" to draw a polygon round the perimeter of the house to make a hole where it is. After that, the mesh disappeared.
To solve the problem I did the same operation backwards (selected the mesh, "+" signal to draw the part where the hole was and the mesh was whole again. I still wanted to subtract the mesh area where the house is and at the second attempt everything worked fine, mesh shows as it should with a hole where the house is.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Glad you solved.
Yes, the Mesh Tool sometimes does that (its geometry disappears in 3D after an editing step), especially when it becomes large and complex with many Mesh points.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
I opened my file and I noticed an odd, tall, spike in the 3D topography, indicating an incorrect elevation point. After checking a section and plan view, which appeared normal, I opened back up the 3D view, and the mesh was not showing. I checked the layer and layer combinations. Then I checked the 3D filters, the Show All In 3D and undid all the SEOs performed on the mesh, and still no mesh. I redid all the SEOs. At this point the mesh was evident in plan view but not in section or 3D. I then read that the mesh can be sensitive to edits, particularly when the mesh might have a lot of points. So, in plan view, I used the split tool to cut off a part of the mesh, and the 3D mesh reappeared. I then corrected the errant point elevation and the model was back to normal. That took about an hour. But I learned that the mesh can be kind of sensitive.

AC21
iMac 27-inch late 2009, 2.8 i7, 12GB RAM,
R Muller
Enthusiast
Thanks for posting this. I just had a similar problem, found your post, and split my mesh. The 3D mesh came back. Whew!
R Muller
AC 26 USA (20+ years on ArchiCAD)
MBP 64GB Apple M1 Max OS 12.1 Monterey
Learn and get certified!