BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Model cut away wall - diagram

solokawa
Newcomer
Hi Archicad family_

I'm trying to develop a wall diagram that shows the different material layers. Is there a designated way to do this in Archicad? One method that I have tinkered with a little is the morph tool. I have been creating individual layers (wall materials) and then changing the nodes to show the different materials of the wall. I have attached an example of what I am trying to achieve.
9 REPLIES 9
bouhmidage
Advisor
You can acheive this by a " real wall " cut by columns and beams with Air building material, ( the air building material have a priority of 999, applied to column or beam, it will cut through all other elements)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects
solokawa
Newcomer
Just to clarify, are you saying to make a real wall in the "Composite" option. Then, have that wall connect to a column or beam? Then that column/beam will show the layers of the wall?

Also, I might have not described fully what I am trying to accomplish. I have a real wall built in the model with the specific layers for the wall. I'm trying to make a "peel back" diagram. Meaning each layer would peel back a little further than the prior layer to show how the wall is built and to emphasize the differences in each layer.

Does that make more sense? I've attached an image that shows what I am trying to achieve. It shows different layers and annotation for each layer.

I would say one important thing is I'm quite new to Archicad.

Thanks for your help.
bouhmidage
Advisor
See the attached Image, i sued beams with Air material, , air cuts all the other building materials of the wall,
to add studs, just use the columln tool
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
solokawa
Newcomer
Oh wow! That looks great. I'll give it a try, and see if I can make that happen. My skills might not be up to par, but we all have to start somewhere.

Much appreciation.
Lingwisyer
Guru
The clipping object can be on it's own separate layer that you can turn off as intersections still occur. Through Layer Combinations you could probably also toggle said clipping on and off by changing the Intersection Group.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
mikas
Expert
One more option:
A structural wall can be converted to morphs too (right click the wall and choose convert to morphs). After that you can adjust all the structural parts independently. Use that companion menu with strech option (see pic). You would have to model any studs and some other elements separately though. You can use morph tool geometry more freely than a wall.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
solokawa wrote:
Hi Archicad family_

I'm trying to develop a wall diagram that shows the different material layers. Is there a designated way to do this in Archicad? One method that I have tinkered with a little is the morph tool. I have been creating individual layers (wall materials) and then changing the nodes to show the different materials of the wall. I have attached an example of what I am trying to achieve. Wall diagram.JPG
As with everything about ArchiCAD, there is never only one way to do it I do find 3d cutaways useful for communicating unusual situations. You might find SEO (Solid Elements Operations) to be useful if you want the cutaways to be curved.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

solokawa
Newcomer
This is fantastic! Thanks so much to everyone giving me multiple ways to do a cut away diagram. I'm sure I'll be using this knowledge many times in the future.
bouhmidage
Advisor
I'm sure you'll enjoy using archicad, and you'll find multiple ways to do anything you want to design
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
Learn and get certified!