Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Modeling Eaves

Anonymous
Not applicable
How does everyone model eaves with fascia, subfascia and vented soffit on a typical roof. It take me a while and I have tried a few different methods. None seem to be any quicker (better?) than the others.

Method 1: Block Inclined 19 from the object library for my rakes, and joist beam 19 for the fascia/subfascia boards. Fill in the remaining pieced with fills in section.

Method 2: Complex beam profile with fascia, subfascia and soffit. These are finicky about cleaning up corners where a soffit meets the rake.

I have the roof slab about 1 1/2" thick for the above.

Method 3: Model the entire roof deck with a composite roof and use a negative complex beam profile to trim the eaves using SEO's. This works as long as I cover up the unwanted material fills from the roof slab in section.

Thoughts?
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
Have you looked at objects?
I see there are a few gutters and downpipes in the Graphisoft library (AUS version for me) and many more in BIMComponents.
I don't see any for barges or fascias.

I can't say what they are like as I use my companies own custom objects (which unfortunately I can't share).

But once set up objects are very easy to use.

There is even a CADImage roof covering add-on that I believe applies gutters, fascias, barges, downpipes, cappings and more to the actual modelled roof.

http://www.cadimage.com/Tools/Coverings

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
dieselboy:

I use Complex Profile Beams for the eaves (the standard configurations are part of my template), SEO the Roof from the Beam (the roof structure is typically thicker than the eave), and usually will use some SEOs at the rake/eave connection. This works well for the 1/4" sections, elevations and 3D views and does not require additional 2D Lines or Fills.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
We don't generally have those type of roof details much here in NL, but from what I understand looking at some pictures online, you want the roof eaves that have an overhang to typically have different composite than the main roof.

I do model these things and for that I use a second roof with different composite. Selecting both roofs and using Connect > Merge Elements gets rid of the unwanted extra linework in plan view. Using the same top surface will atually get rid of unwanted extra lines in elevation / section / 3d.

The typical trimwork I mostly model with roofs if it is no more than simple wood boards (no profiled trims). I just like the ease of manipulating the joints of roof elements.

See attachment for some trim that is all modelled with roof tool.
roof_details.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
And this is what it looks like in section, no 2d patchwork done, just roofs and a wall, some material priority based connection magic and using the Connect > Merge Elements.
roof_section.jpg
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5