Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Module questions

PatriciaLe_o
Participant
Hi,
I have a project that was begun in AC9, so it has its modules inserted story by story. I'm continuing the project in AC11, and I wanted to know if there's a way of turning those modules into one multistory module (without having to reinsert them all again).
The second question is: can anyone explain me what's the difference on inserting a .mod or a .pln file as a module? I don't get it, they look the same and can be both multistory as well... I'm missing something here...
Thanks a lot.
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra
6 REPLIES 6
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
PatriciaLeão wrote:
can anyone explain me what's the difference on inserting a .mod or a .pln file as a module?
A MOD file is basically a dumbed-down-version of a PLN: for instance, it only contains the attributes that are being used, and doesn't bring along with it a bunch of extra-non-needed-stuff. Also, MOD files are much smaller in size.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
PatriciaLe_o
Participant
Thanks a lot Laura. So there's no use on inserting a .mod...? It may be a smaller individual file, but after inserted, mod or pln, result the same final file size. Is this??
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
To answer your first question, I don't think there is.

When you select a placed single story module and try to re-link it to a multi-story module, the 'open in single story mode' is checked on and greyed out. So I guess that's a telling sign.

But it is not difficult to replace the modules, really. Just delete the existing ones and place the new multi-story module in one go.

Cheers,
Link.
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
PatriciaLeão wrote:
Thanks a lot Laura. So there's no use on inserting a .mod...? It may be a smaller individual file, but after inserted, mod or pln, result the same final file size. Is this??
No -- you want to use the MOD because of its smaller size -- this is the purpose of a MOD (to act as a hotlinked file)!
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
TomWaltz
Participant
If you use the publisher, you can control mass creation of modules using a stripped down layer set.
Tom Waltz
PatriciaLe_o
Participant
Link wrote:
But it is not difficult to replace the modules, really. Just delete the existing ones and place the new multi-story module in one go.

They're 350 modules, but I'm already re inserting them. I think it worths the effort so that if I change their positions I wont have to do it story by story anymore...
TomWaltz wrote:
If you use the publisher, you can control mass creation of modules using a stripped down layer set.

Sorry Tom, but I didn't understand your point here...

Thanks again.
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra