BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Moving Windows in 3D - working plane not working

Anonymous
Not applicable
First, let me say great forum. Finding a lot information, unfortunately, nor solving my particular problem.
I have the following problem. After working on a file for a couple hours, it seems to be corrupting the working plane as in regards to objects in 3D.
Example:
I have a window in a wall and want to move it in 3D. I grab the endpoint and start dragging it, but it won't let me drag it parallel to the wall surface. The working plane shows correct, but the actual drag direction is pretty much perpendicular to the wall (as seen in the littel UCS).
I tried to reset the working plane (in 3D) but nothing helps. Only solution so far: save the file and restart ArchiCAD. 15 is opening rather quick, but still a pain if you have to do it multiple times in a day.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Window.jpg
7 REPLIES 7
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
BjornATA:

I am not experiencing this problem. A few observations:
1. Based on the Pet palette in your screen shot, you are stretching, not dragging, the window.
2. The edit works for me regardless of the orientation of the editing plane (default orientation is horizontal, but changing it to vertical makes no difference).
3. The "Width" parameter in your screen shot reads "0", which is clearly not the case (this dimension should change as the window is stretched), so I am suspecting an issue with the window: what is the name of this library part, and where did it come from?

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David,

it actually does not matter wether I use the stretch or move command. It all yields the same result. As I mentioned before, it does not happen all the time. This happens to any window or object that can be stretched via hotspot in 3D (i.e. Steal Beam) after I work in the file for a certain amount of time. It seems like the file is getting corrupted while working on it.
The very weird part is, that if I save the file in that state and restart ArchiCAD it is working fine again.
Here is a screenshot from this am after a fresh start on the file, and it is working just fine. I would bet my house that by the end of the day, it will be as the previous screen shot.
The object in this case is 'W Storefront 3 14', so nothing special. And yes, I have loaded the 14 library into a 15 file. This file was originally started in 14, so do you think that is causing the issue?
Untitled-1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Library parts' dynamic hotspots are semi-broken in 3D in AC15. I reported this during beta so I presume they are working on it.

The workaround I found is to move the user origin (shift+option/alt) to a hotspot of the element being adjusted. With doors and windows it would probably also work to move the origin to the base of the wall. Flipping the edit plane around sometimes helps but often doesn't.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tried the work around with moving the origin. Does not work for me unfortunately, but at least I know now that it is a bug and I am not just going bananas. Let's hope for the hotfix.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This problem is STILL not fixed

I don't know what triggers the bug, but it's highly irritating!!

GS PLEASE FIX IT!

Matthew - How does one 'report' a problem to GS? Or is it a case of them reading through forums and finding bugs as they go?
Djordje
Ace
Send the description of the bug to your reseller/tech support, and alert any of the Tech Support personell that is active here
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also often have a problem with this. Hope it's fixed in AC16.

I use the solution below..
BjornATA wrote:
...Only solution so far: save the file and restart ArchiCAD. 15 is opening rather quick, but still a pain if you have to do it multiple times in a day...
Learn and get certified!