Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Multi-Plane Roof Not Working

Brandylee341
Participant

I am new to this software and I'm not sure what I am doing wrong, but I have followed multiple tutorials and I still can not get a gambrel roof to work. 

This is the settings that I have used, I have tried to use them different ways and nothing changes. I can not get two levels on the roof, it will only move the pitch higher. 

Screenshot 2023-10-03 at 8.17.14 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

Try adjusting the lower roof elevation to be the height from the roof pivot base line, say 3' as a starter. At present AC is working on the lower slope extending 90' before changing slope.

Check out this mansard roof in HELP

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Solution
DGSketcher
Legend

Try adjusting the lower roof elevation to be the height from the roof pivot base line, say 3' as a starter. At present AC is working on the lower slope extending 90' before changing slope.

Check out this mansard roof in HELP

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Sorry, but that roof is never going to be a Gambrel Roof 😀  

SteveJepson_0-1696360439254.jpeg

But if this is what you're trying to do, it works.  

SteveJepson_1-1696361580425.png

?

SteveJepson_2-1696363216892.png

The thing is, I am not sure there is a rational connection between the angles you input and the result you get. 

But you can get what you need.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

It's the first one I saw in help with a split gradient. Perhaps not the best suggestion 🙄 but it did explain why a lower slope of 90' was never really going to work.

The heights are measured individually and vertically, initially from the roof pivot base line to the external face pivot point and then between pivot points for any additional slopes. Depending on the roof type AC will extend the highest roof plane to form a ridge.

Not going to snuff this one out lol. Yes that is a true Gambrel at the top and the bottom one is called a Candle Snuffer Roof in our region and maybe in the UK too ?

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
NAAY = Not An Ace Yet

In the UK I think it would fall under the term - Turret, although I am sure there are probably other names that could fit. 

mthd
Ace

mthd_0-1696405093737.jpeg

Turret with a Candle Snuffer to hide in 😁

Edit: With Crenellations too !

AC8.1 - AC27 ARM AUS + CI Tools
Apple Mac Studio M1 Max Chip 10C CPU
24C GPU 7.8TF 32GB RAM OS Ventura
NAAY = Not An Ace Yet