BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

NEED HELP CREATING ARCHED PROFILE

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to create a profile that is both a horizontal band and a vertical arch. I have searched the forum, ArchicadWiki, Reference Guide, etc. I tried to do it in two parts by making the arch a horizontal profile, then rotating it in 3D and converting it into a GDL Object. When I try to refresh the drawing in 3D, my computer freezes up and I eventually get the Bug Reporter. I have spent way too much time trying to do this, and I'm getting frustrated. Can someone help me with this?
The attachment shows the band I need and the shape of the profile. If it were flat like the window band, rather than rounded, I could just do slab layers with the magic wand. But this profile needs to be bullnosed, so I'm stymied. The sides of the band were made with the Profiler tool, so I know how to use it for horizontal extrusions, but I would like to do it in one piece if possible.
Any Suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
What you have described sounds right. You should create a section of the profile and then extrude this as an arc using profiler. The extruded object can then be rotated using the elevation view in 3D and saving as a new lib object.

Profiler only allows you to create a profile in one plane - you can't return the ends in one operation but you can easily do it in two or use a profiled wall to create the parts over the columns.

If you are doing this and it is crashing then it probably isn't this process in itself that's the problem because this is the correct method. Maybe some other issue with your computer?

If it is the action of saving from the 3D window that's causing the trouble then try editing the GDL object the old way. Select the profile object which has been created which should be lying flat as if on the ground in plan. Open its GDL script from File - Libraries - open object. Open the 3D script and insert a rotx 90 command at the beginning. Save it, close it, reload the library and now the Arch has turned to stand up.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, Philip. I definitely need to become more familiar with the 3D editing process. This sounds like a good place to start. I'll give it a try and see if I can make it work. I'll let you know.
Thanks again,
Lee
Learn and get certified!