BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Navigator / Project map verus View map

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can someone please explain to me how they relate to each other and they are used?

I noticed the if I have a LEVEL 100 in the Project map with text, dimensions and a determined scale, I can save it as a view. However when I go to the view i just saved in the View map, and I add or delete text or dimensions and even change scale, the original LEVEL 100 project map view is affected.

Ultimately what I want to understand is what is each view set used for, I am trying to have different plans at different scale showing different noted and annotations. How is a site plan (roof plan) view created?

Thanks,
7 REPLIES 7
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Profoxcg wrote:
Ultimately what I want to understand is what is each view set used for, I am trying to have different plans at different scale showing different noted and annotations.
This is exactly what a View is for. A Viewpoint (from the Project Map) is just that -- a viewpoint of the model. A View is a Viewpoint with saved scale, layer settings, model view options, etc. So, you can create several Views from a single Viewpoint.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura,

do essentially, you would not dimension or annotate on the viewports at all?
I am starting to think of these as "base" drawings or "plan modeling" views.

Then all the dimensioning and notes happen on views?

- How do I make a roof plan, Everything I change the cut place of the viewport I seem to change it overall for all the viewports ground - level X - TOB - roof ect. Do I need to make a view and then change the cut place for the view and move it up to 20ft (higher than my building) to make a roof plan?
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Are you familiar with AutoCAD? -- you can think of a Viewpoint as an Xref in Model Space, and a View as a Viewport with settings specific to the intended drawing. You can place annotation in either window, although it's usually best to work in the View.

The Floor Plan Cut Plane (FPCP) is a global setting, but can also be defined for each View via the View Settings.

For a roof plan, you need a Roof Story -- the Roof is the top Story of your building. Roof plans can typically have the same View Settings as floor plans, with the exception of the FPCP.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Anonymous
Not applicable
For some reason I am changing the FPCP for different views only to find out its being changed in the whole project....

I am accessing it through the view settings of each view.
Anonymous
Not applicable
The FPCP is saved with the view, so if you navigate via the view map (which is what most people would do 99% of the time, I would think) the setting will change appropriately.

Think of the Project Map as being the physical model, and the View Map as being different ways in which you view that model (Layers, Model View Options, FPCP etc). So from a single floor of the model you can have various plans for furniture layouts, construction plans, ceiling plans, services etc, as saved views.

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
I got it to work in one of the tries... very weird. I am like this approach also when combined with different layer configurations its quite powerful.
Anonymous
Not applicable
That's the whole idea of it.
Learn and get certified!