BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Need help for making this shape in AC15 with Shell tool !

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
I need help for making this round shape in AC15 with Shell tool...

5 REPLIES 5
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I don't think you can do this with one Shell element.
The closest I can think of would be to slice the building with parallel vertical planes at like 1-2-3 meter intervals or something. Then model each segment using the Ruled method of the Shell.
You have shown the side View of the building. The vertical slicing planes would be perpendicular to the plane of this Side View. So they would be perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the building.

I would probably model the mass of the building in SketchUp or something that can do it. Then I would import the geometry as an object into ArchiCAD.
Then I would define vertical cut planes and copy-paste the cut sections into the Floor Plan. Based on those cut section at 1-2-3 meter intervals you could create the individual Ruled Shell pieces.
I would use Shell Holes to cut those void areas from the Shells where the Windows are.

So like if the building is 100 meters long and the slices are 2 meters wide, you would have 50 Shell elements.

I hope this makes sense.

Some good programmer could actually write an Add-On to automate this. Then we could simulate any kind of surface in ArchiCAD. And because of the capabilites of the Shell Tool it would appear correctly in 2D, 3D. It would be awesome.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
laszlonagy, thank you for the support. The things you told me make sense - I will try them
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Great!
When you are finished please post the result.
I am curious about how it works out.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lazlo your opening post kind of reveals the shortcomings of this tool...so does AC16 address these or do the workarounds continue....we shall see
stefan
Expert
The shape itself is hard to do in ArchiCAD. Rhino would be much easier for that. Or Blender. Or Cinema4D. Or 3ds Max. Maybe (maybe) AutoCAD, but I doubt it will be easy.

There is a (non-free) special slicer object available at Master Script:

http://www.masterscript.nl/01/product.php?id_product=38
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Learn and get certified!