Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New Beam Tool in 23,24

Brett Brown
Advocate
Coming from AC 20, a pitched beam meeting a horizontal beam would automatically mitre but the pitched beam would lose its plumb cut.
So I would have thought the new iteration of the beam tool in 23, would have a simple setting for each one, either horizontal or pitched, to have a stated angle mitre cuts on the ends. I hope I must be missing something as it still seems to be as bad at joining as in AC 20?
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
4 REPLIES 4
Barry Kelly
The beams should join automatically, but you can drag the angle of the end as you want with the pet palette.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Brett Brown
Advocate
Hi Barry, should have explained better, as attached should better explain the problem where the pitched beam decides to do a square cut mitre instead of a plumb cut mitre.
Barry Kelly
I see the problem.
The best I can come up with is to not join the beam axis reference line.
Keep them separate and you can control the end angle of the beams.

The inclined beam could also run into the side of the horizontal beam rather than at the end as I have shown.

You might need to adjust the position of the reference axis and the lengths of the beams.
Maybe even add in a 3rd beam to get the correct transition.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Brett Brown
Advocate
I have reported it to Graphisoft. Whether it is a bug that's been there forever (when the pitched beam decides to square mitre instead of plumb mitre) or an omission on Graphisofts part.