Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

New Tutorial Video - Shortcuts for Construction Geometry

Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
This 5 minute ARCHICAD QuickTip video tutorial shows two easy keyboard shortcuts to speed your workflow, allowing you to change geometry and construction methods on the fly.

ARCHICAD QuickTips Tutorial #3 - Geometry Construction Shortcuts

I think these two keyboard shortcuts may be hidden gems that deserve a little more limelight!

P.S. During the video, I mentioned that I didn't know a keyboard shortcut for switching a wall from one side of the reference line to the other side; I've been informed by a couple of savvy users that the "P" key will do that. I love learning new shortcuts!
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
… and "C" will cycle thru the reference line location including "Center" which "P" does not.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
Eduardo -

The tutorial focuses on the use of two keyboard shortcuts for changing settings on the fly:

-- "G" for geometry methods
-- "C" for construction methods

My note in the post was to add:
-- "P" for Flipping the wall orientation

Note that flipping is different than changing the construction reference. Ever since ArchiCAD 17 introduced the more flexible system of reference lines and planes, a wall reference line can be set as exterior side, interior side, center, exterior core or interior core. "C" will flip between all of these options.

"P" will flip from left to right in relation to the direction of the reference line. So you might be drawing the exterior face of the wall, but find that the wall is "facing" the wrong way. If you changed the construction method, you might switch to interior face and the body of the wall will be on the other side of the line, but that isn't necessarily what you want. By using the "P" key, you can keep the reference line on the exterior face, but make the body of the wall go on the other side of the line.

Eric
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Eric wrote:
Eduardo -

The tutorial focuses on the use of two keyboard shortcuts for changing settings on the fly:

-- "G" for geometry methods
-- "C" for construction methods

My note in the post was to add:
-- "P" for Flipping the wall orientation

Note that flipping is different than changing the construction reference. Ever since ArchiCAD 17 introduced the more flexible system of reference lines and planes, a wall reference line can be set as exterior side, interior side, center, exterior core or interior core. "C" will flip between all of these options.

"P" will flip from left to right in relation to the direction of the reference line. So you might be drawing the exterior face of the wall, but find that the wall is "facing" the wrong way. If you changed the construction method, you might switch to interior face and the body of the wall will be on the other side of the line, but that isn't necessarily what you want. By using the "P" key, you can keep the reference line on the exterior face, but make the body of the wall go on the other side of the line.

Eric
Great tuts you're producing! I'll have to start using G . I'm not very fond of the ArchiCAD nomenclature of inside and outside regarding the walls. I prefer one side and the other side . I'd love a shortcut for moving the ref line to the other side but it's not possible (can add a shortcut for the mod wall ref line though). We don't have the same shortcuts as the int/US-version but it's always great to be inspired of clever people. Keep it coming .
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Eric Bobrow
Enthusiast
Mats -

You are right: when a wall is simple or a symmetrical composite or profile (which is common for interior walls with drywall or other cladding on both sides) then you're right, the terms inside and outside are not appropriate.

However for exterior walls, there are "exterior" and "interior" sides, and the way the composite is defined (top to bottom in the skin order) is relevant and appropriate.

Eric
Nice video tip, Eric!

I've been looking at reference lines more closely, and have come to the conclusion that the Reference Guide is very confusing: "The reference line position determines the Wall’s “outside” and “inside” surfaces. (The reference line is on the outside of the Wall.) Separate surface materials can be applied to the Wall’s “outside” and “inside” surfaces, using the controls in the Model Panel of Wall Settings."

I'm not sure how it's possible to know which is inside and outside when the reference line is set to the center of the wall, so I like Mats's definition better. The reference line seems to me to be useful to know how the wall is going to "grow" if you change material thicknesses, and to use as a drawing aid while you are doing wall layouts, but I'm not clear if there are any uses beyond that. (Maybe as a Find and Select criterion, although has anyone ever used that?)
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
poco2013
Mentor
Ditto on Video Eric -- Nice!!

I found reference lines to be great for wall connections and alignment between stories particularly when using the wizard. A great improvement over previous versions. easy to use and great to allow for framing and cladding.

The problem I have is in trying to align a complex profile wall with any other type wall. The single origin which can only be moved via offset which just messes with my calculator. Definitely need a better method. It would be better to allow more than one reference point (origin) with complex profiles with the ability to cycle through them, so as to allow for more versatile and precise alignments.
Gerry

Windows 11 - Visual Studio 2022; ArchiCAD 27
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Half our staff draw the walls clock wise and the other half...yes...always fun with the inside out discussions...
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
Mats_Knutsson wrote:
Half our staff draw the walls clock wise and the other half...yes...always fun with the inside out discussions...
I would like to have a reference core, and a reference line.
Inside or Outside are only graphic words. They can lose their meaning for an interior wall and other places.

Why not just use the terms side A or side B ?

Other skins would be relative to the Reference Core, not the reference line. That would free up the reference line to be use for just placement/alignment and clean up purposes. Scheduling could also be associated with side A or side B of the Reference Core rather than the reference line. ?

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25