BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

No option to choose to allow me to use a profile for a wall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Using the Profile Manager I created a specific profile and checked off the wall button to associate it with and then stored the profile. And to make sure that it was stored I closed and then re-opened the profile manager and checked to see if it was there and yes it was. Good I thought. I closed the profile manager and then went to create my wall. I double clicked the wall icon to get the default tools window and to my amazement the icon/button for custom profiles is not shown. All that is shown is a vertical wall, a single slanted wall and a double slanted wall but no button for custom profile. I am using AC20 on Win10 64 bit. The documentation on the help website does not exactly look like AC20 so I assumed that it was from an earlier version which made me wonder if the might have been a change between that version and AC20. Can anyone explain why the custom profile button does not appear? Without it my design is dead in the water. All help is appreciated and thanks in advance.
2 REPLIES 2
James B
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
This page should help:
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/elements_of_the_vir...
James Badcock
Graphisoft Senior Product Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello James:
I went to the link you provided, did the reading and then gave it a go. Here's what I learned. What I was trying to do was create a hollow sphere with the outside thickness was a "wall" so I could put windows and doors into it. So I created a half circle profile that I could use with a curved wall. Initially it didn't work as it kept drawing the wall with the concave section facing outward. It turns out that how you create your profile will determine which side is outside and which is inside. It turns out that the side of your profile that faces the right side of the creation page is the outside of the profile and the face that looks to the left side of the page is the inside of the profile. Also the placement of the "reference point is important as well. I initially had the ref point on the lower outside edge which I wanted to spin around but that is the wrong placement when creating a circular wall. I eventually figured out that the ref point had to be at the midpoint of the outside curve to that the curved wall tool would give me the desired output. So thanks for the link as it solved my problem.
Learn and get certified!