BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Offscreen dialog boxes

Anonymous
Not applicable
Halo guys, i'm having some problem with missing dialog boxes due to external monitor while working in archicad.

Some dialog boxes were set to be opened on the external monitor, and when i only use my main display (laptop) those dialog boxes seems to be still on the external monitor (offscreen) so i can't do anything except pressing escape to cancel whatever i was about to do.

Usually i just plug the monitor back in, but i'm currently out right now and i don't have any access to external monitor at the moment, any suggestion?
16 REPLIES 16
vistasp
Advisor
Apply one of the standard (built-in) work environments. That should bring all the palettes back on your single screen.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, but what i meant is not the palette, but the dialog boxes, for example, i can try to open the properties manager window, but it won't show on my main display.

Any idea?

-John
felcunha
Expert
Try to change the resolution of your desktop...
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
Lingwisyer
Guru
When you say "main display (laptop)" do you mean when you take your laptop elsewhere, or when for what ever reason you just decide to not have your second display on when it is still plugged in? When you go into your computers resolution settings, is it still set to extend onto a secondary display?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Karl Ottenstein
John wrote:
Thanks, but what i meant is not the palette, but the dialog boxes, for example, i can try to open the properties manager window, but it won't show on my main display.
Vistasp's response is the correct one:

Apply one of the standard workspace schemes (not the entire work environment) from the Work Environment dialog. Everything should restore onto a single monitor. But, SAVE (with a name) your workspace scheme before doing that so that you have your 2 monitor scheme saved to use when you use 2 monitors the next time.

The Work Environment saves the location and size of EVERY window / dialog / etc. It is not just palettes. After you are set up again - using a separate workspace scheme for each monitor configuration is the only way to quickly switch between one, two or more monitors and different monitor sizes and have things set up the way you prefer.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Barry Kelly
Karl wrote:
John wrote:

I am not so sure.
I dragged my object settings dialogue and my layer settings dialogue to my second monitor.
Then I re-applied my original WE but they didn't move back.
Palettes and toolboxes reset but not dialogues.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Karl Ottenstein
Must be one of those things that happens on Mac vs Windows?
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you guys for all of your kind replies.
Sorry for my very late reply regarding your solutions.
Karl wrote:
Must be one of those things that happens on Mac vs Windows?
Maybe, but I don't know for sure, because i haven't got the chance to try it on a Mac because i'm using windows version only.
Barry wrote:
Karl wrote:
John wrote:

I am not so sure.
I dragged my object settings dialogue and my layer settings dialogue to my second monitor.
Then I re-applied my original WE but they didn't move back.
Palettes and toolboxes reset but not dialogues.

Barry.
Exactly..
Lingwisyer wrote:
When you say "main display (laptop)" do you mean when you take your laptop elsewhere, or when for what ever reason you just decide to not have your second display on when it is still plugged in? When you go into your computers resolution settings, is it still set to extend onto a secondary display?

Ling.
What i mean is after i disconnect my external monitor HDMI connection, then go outside to do some work on site, with my external monitor setting is set to "pc screen only", the dialog boxes won't show up
felcunha wrote:
Try to change the resolution of your desktop...

i've tried this before, but it didn't seem to do anything.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are having the same problem. Anyone some new ideas...?
Learn and get certified!