BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Old Plotmaker .lay file conversion.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't believe I'm even asking this. I have a client who still has a ton of old Version 7 files. He recently was asked to do a remodel of a commercial building he did in Version 7. His pln/pla files for the project do not reflect the final printed drawings. He sent me a bunch old Plotmaker .lay files which may be adequate for recreating the drawings the old way (all lines- no model). I thought there used to be a way to convert/merge the .lay files into an ArchiCad file, but for the life of me I can't remember how or find any instructions or blogs.

I can't seem to get away from having to work in old files. Today I had to do some modeling work for another client who's stuck in Version 15. The program has come a long way since then and some of the functions seen so archaic if you can even remember where to find them.

Anyway, does anyone remember what can be done with old Plotmaker files?
1 REPLY 1
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
svaero:

Use the Open command to open Layout or pmk files, the Layouts will be added to the Layout book. The Layout files might need to be opened and saved in PlotMaker 9 (which came with ArchiCAD 9) to be accessible to current ArchiCADs (I have not done this recently). If you have ArchiCAD 10 you can read its New Features Guide for more information on the conversion process.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Learn and get certified!