Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

One line, multiple stories

Tom Krowka
Booster
Any way to show one line on multiple stories? Would like to use it as a centerline for structural elements on consecutive stories. That way I can be sure they are aligned.....
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
13 REPLIES 13
Erika Epstein
Booster
Alternatively you could put such a line one story in plan and/or set your local origin to this point. Set this storey to show as trace reference and go through the other stories always in plan view.I find this use of setting the local origin works a treat.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Tom Krowka
Booster
Usually do some variation of that process, but was looking for a foolproof way to have the same entity on multiple stories. I guess I could use a teeny tiny wall and have it show up.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Thomas Holm
Booster
If you save the line as an object?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
One method I am happy with is putting the layers for project geometry, including property lines and easements, main and secondary geometry lines, sometimes main structural lines, sometimes main utility or other civil site lines (you can easily modify the contents as you go) into a 'Project Geometry Module' layer combo > view > published module.

The module can then be placed on any story, in the same file or other file (always without changing the origin when placing --and if you suspect somebody screwed up and moved the module, you just delete it and place a new instance). It is great for multi-file projects too, and also when you want to try out a design variation in some other temporary file.

Normally I publish the module from the working site file, the ground story being the only story where the module-generating elements reside (all the other instances are brought in module). Just to make sure I lock the elements (not the layers, that is), so that there is little chance that I can modify those inadvertently.

'Skip nested' should always be checked for these modules.
Tom Krowka
Booster
Now there's a good idea!
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
!! 2D Script

HOTSPOT2 0, 0
HOTSPOT2 A, 0
HOTSPOT2 A/2, 0   !! midpoint if you like
LINE2 0, 0, A, 0

!! if you want the line's 'edge' selectable
HOTLINE2 0, 0, A, 0
Show it on all stories.

(For a lot of geometry the module solution is great.)
James Murray

Archicad 25 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Tom Krowka
Booster
Uh, appreciate the code, but unfortunately I have no idea what to do with it. Never have had the time to teach it to myself.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
James wrote:
(For a lot of geometry the module solution is great.)
Yup. And you can use polylines, fills, arcs, stretch and trim, etc. And you keep single-source, pretty much live (placed modules update every time somebody hits 'save'), full control of the project geometry in multi-story, multi-file, multi-user projects, with or without Teamwork.
Anonymous
Not applicable
You could use a length of Grid Line using the Grid Element and have that set to display on every level.

Ian C