Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Orbit in 3D Problem

archislave
Enthusiast
I have been wanting to ask this question for years but frankly it is hard to describe. I wonder if anyone can relate. When working in 3d Archicad seems to randomly switch from orbiting tightly around a single point that I am modeling. Usually if I zoom in a bit (or out) it might randomly start orbiting in a very wide swing. I have to zoom way out and go high and then zoom back in which sometimes helps.

I hope there is a solution to this irritating randomness!
Archislave

archicad 16.0 US, iMac El Capitan
8 REPLIES 8
Eduardo Rolon
I think that something like that happens when you select an object or group prior to Orbit since then AC will try to Orbit around the center of the selection.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

archislave
Enthusiast
No, sadly it happens with no selection. Say I am trying to work on a column. Sometimes it will pivot around a small area and then it will change to pivoting around the whole front porch with no selections.
Archislave

vistasp
Advisor
"archislave"I wonder if anyone can relate.[/quote wrote:

I can and yes, it often happened when nothing was selected.

It used to occur a lot before but rarely does these days. I suspect it has something to do with what AC considers the target for the viewpoint but never could put my finger on it.
= v i s t a s p =
bT Square Peg
https://archicadstuff.blogspot.com
https://www.btsquarepeg.com
| AC 9-27 INT | Win11 | Ryzen 5700 | 32 GB | RTX 3050 |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is it possible you are accidentally double-middle-clicking when trying pan around in orbit?

It might be Archicad is interpreting your successive "middle-click-to-drag-view" commands as a "double-middle-click-to-view-all" command (which adjusts the view to show all the visible components and the view sometimes shoots way out in order to do that).

This happens to me in 2D all the time when I'm panning sideways. I'll be panning along then all the sudden AC will pan out to show everything and then I have to scroll back into where I was working.

And that same style of panning is how the 3D view works as well. I tend to be in perspective mode and fly when I move positions so I don't experience this as much in the 3D window. But using your middle mouse button for dragging and then double clicking the middle mouse button to show all are pretty close commands and it calls for being aware of that tricky part of ArchiCAD in order to avoid it.
archislave
Enthusiast
I will try to pay attention to that possibility. I am usually just pressing in the middle scroll wheel button to pan. When I want to obit I just hold the shift key and press the scroll wheel to orbit.
Archislave

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having similar problem: When I have an object selected I can no longer orbit centered on that object, the center of rotation goes to camera rather than object.
This is in AC 14, is there a setting I tripped or is this just the way it is now?

It's incredibly aggravating.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same issu. Archicad 24.... its annoying..
Barry Kelly
The pivot around selection works in Perspective 3D view, but not Axonometric 3D.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11