Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Outlines/contours merge and disappear in 2D

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.

This has to do with either GDL or fill.
When manually designing trusses from AC13 roof construction library, I select various elements like blocks, ridges, purlins. Then in section view they get aligned. For some reason, once it's done, there is always loss of outline between two aligned GDL elements.
Cut fills are set to default background.

How do I prevent this from happening? Thanks in advance.[/img]

missing_outlines.PNG
8 REPLIES 8
Erich
Contributor
This is standard behavior in ArchiCAD. Any element with the same fill will 'heal' with any other element with the same fill. If you want to see lines between elements and want the same fill, duplicate the fill and give it a new name then use the duplicate fill for one element and the first fill for the next.

HTH
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
This is standard behavior in ArchiCAD
Oh, I had no idea it was a 'feature' Well, I wish developers disable this behaviour in next version of AC.
Thank you for info, Erich.
Anonymous
Not applicable
yes disable the feature.

it may be easier to use the line tool and draw the effect you want or use erichs advise.

but disable this feature

on/off toggle-checkbox maybe??

but not disabled
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I considered using line tool, and did so, but it became inpractical as the project grew in size and complexity, and lines didn't reflect changes in truss size.
Generally, 2D drawings don't get better from 'healed' elements.
Erich
Contributor
Actually, you really don't want the automatic healing of materials changed. In fact it would be disastrous to existing projects should that ever happen and would also make new project much more difficult to get to appear correctly. Just accept it for what it is, learn how to work with it and use it to your advantage. For instance, this feature allows your walls to heal in elevation and, in most cases, eliminates unwanted lines from appearing in your elevations.

In those cases, such as you show, where you want the lines between elements to appear, it is very easy to duplicate materials and apply different materials to different elements. There are also numerous methods for creating objects such as your truss within ArchiCAD. You need to learn them, learn their advantages and disadvantages and then apply the most appropriate technique to handle any given situation.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Erich wrote:
Actually, .......... learn their advantages and disadvantages and
then apply the most appropriate technique to handle any given situation.
Erich, your earlier post was spot on, willa should heed your advice.
I feel there is an amount of inexperience there and will come around
to developing fills and other attributes with each project.
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you guys for your input.
I'm keen to admit lacking knowledge, but since my background is mechanical engineering (AutoCAD and Catia), I simply prefer different kind of drafting and modelling tools, also for residential designs. ArchiCAD's approach is often too complicated for seemingly easy tasks. Work arounds with wall and slab tools, instead of traditional extrude, push, pull. This is of course my opinion.
Anonymous
Not applicable
willa.ytong wrote:
Thank you guys for your input.
I'm keen to admit lacking knowledge, but since my background is mechanical engineering (AutoCAD and Catia), I simply prefer different kind of drafting and modelling tools, also for residential designs. ArchiCAD's approach is often too complicated for seemingly easy tasks. Work arounds with wall and slab tools, instead of traditional extrude, push, pull. This is of course my opinion.
This is the difference between generic modelers and BIM software. BIM tools are made to behave in manners consistent with the building assemblies they represent. The specialized functions make them much faster for modeling the intended assemblies but do limit the possibilities for free form or generic modeling.