Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Oversize Surface Mount Sliding Door Panel

Chris Grantham
Advocate
Is there a quick way to change the size of a surface mount sliding door independently of the opening? I want the door to have some overlap on either side of the opening... I know I can create a custom panel and empty opening, but I am wondering if I am missing something easy in the actual object. Thanks!
-Chris
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
6 REPLIES 6
Chazz
Enthusiast
Easily done --in Cadimage Door & WindowBuilder. Not sure how doable it is with the standard library door objects. I have not used them in a decade.....
Screen Shot 2012-02-23 at 7.57.45 AM.png
Nattering nabob of negativism
2023 MBP M2 Max 32GM. MaxOS-Current
Chris Grantham
Advocate
Thanks for the response. It sorta irks me that everything is "easily done" in with some sort of add-on that costs $500 or more.
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Chazz
Enthusiast
I hear you. It's always something.

However, there's a few things I feel are worth spending some cabbage on to make your AC experience a pleasant one. For me they are:
  • 1) Door & Window Builder
    2) Stairbuilder
    3) Artlantis Render
    4) BaseCamp
    5) Objective
    5.5) Internet Radio (long live KEXP!)
    6) A really nice monitor (loving this Thunderbolt 27")
I know that's a lot of cabbage but you're a pro, right? Try to forget that you spent $5K on the software and subscription....
Chris Grantham
Advocate
We've been using Evernote instead of Basecamp. I have the monitor and artlantis, and internet radio. Long live KCRW!
16" MacBook Pro M1 Max
Mac OS 12.2.1
ArchiCAD 25 Build 6005
Chazz
Enthusiast
I'll check out Evernote. And I do love it when my morning becomes eclectic
Karl Ottenstein
Chris wrote:
Thanks for the response. It sorta irks me that everything is "easily done" in with some sort of add-on that costs $500 or more.
I agree that paying 10% of a license cost for a pair of door/window objects seems excessive. I'm still doing a trial of the Cadimage product and while it has some impressive flexibility compared to the US AC doors/windows, it is missing some important US features for casing/trim sizing and wall insertion modes. And, you build every window/door from scratch - the first time, anyway: there is not a library of default types, but rather a single object that can morph into most (but not all) desired types. You trade one set of limitations for another, it seems to me.

A workaround for the panel limitation in the US library: for the door panel style, choose "Empty". This will give you a cased opening, less the sliding panel. Create your own panel with the modeling tool of your choice. No track / hardware is modeled in the US part in any case - just a door slab - so you can make this externally hung door more realistic by using a simple profiled element to model the track, etc.

(You cannot create a 'custom' panel with the AC lib to achieve your goal of an oversized panel, as the custom panel will be deformed to fit the standard panel size.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB