BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

PBC and Door/Window Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Folks,

I'm facing an inconsistensy within the PBC (Priority Based Connection) concept...
- I have a door opening on a wall based under the finish floor;
- My floor finish cross this door.

The logic behavior would dictate that if the floor was crossing air... it would't be interrupted right?

I know I can change the layer to a different priority number an have the continuous floor, but this would give me an incorrect floor area.

I could also set the floor BM to be stronger... same scheduling issue.

For me, the only correct solution for this would be to create a separate wall just for the door and elevate its base... And this just don't make any sense for me.

So I'd like to know how you deal with PBC crossing Doors or Windows?

Cheers,

Paulo
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If a door touches a slab and the part of the slab it touches is setup as 'Finish' it will extend that part of the slab through the opening.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/user-guide/88747/#XREF_98779_Slab_Finishes_and
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Hello

Did you try to put a strong priority to your floor ?
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Christophe,

I could, but it would give me an incorrect quantity on schedules... As it would cut over the entire wall core.

I am trying to draw one slab (finish floor) over several walls and the wall cores would PBC my floor for a correct quantity/area (?).

For me it is a bug. Perhaps it is fixed in AC23.

Cheers,

Paulo
Braza wrote:
I could, but it would give me an incorrect quantity on schedules
I believe it might be possible to do this with material and layer priority but I have not check yet
You can change to a low "priority" to your floor layer to make it inactive about your schedule
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Christophe,

Thanks for your time.

The issue is that:
- With low priority BM on the floor it will give me incorrect quantity, as the core part of the wall inside the door will cut the floor;
- With high priority BM on the floor it will give me incorrect quantity as well, as the floor will cut the entire wall (including core).
- With a different floor layer priority (Layer Manager) it will ignore PBC and give me incorrect quantity as well.

For me it is an inconsistency with the door opening that should not cut the floor in any circumstance.

Cheers,

Paulo
Lingwisyer
Guru
I remember having this issue in the past, but it does not appear to be happening now. Not sure what has changed...

You could temporarily split the wall around the door and elevate the base to sit above the floor?

Ling.

Edit: Looking at your screenshot again, is your floor a basic slab or part of a composite? I do not think that there is a way to get a basic slab to continue through. Instead use a single layer composite.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ling,

Thanks for the input.
I remember having this issue in the past, but it does not appear to be happening now. Not sure what has changed...
Probably your slab has a strong BM and it is draw arround the wall (which is what I want to avoid as it is extreme time consuming).
You could temporarily split the wall around the door and elevate the base to sit above the floor?
Yes I could and I did. It works geometrically and the schedule give me the correct quantity... But this would be a pain in the arse to split all the door wall in the plan... Not to mention that the logic of PBC is to avoid this kind of workarround, right?

Anyway... For me it is still a bug.

Cheers,

Paulo
LucaP
Enthusiast
Hi,

I remember having this issue as well. For me the only solution was to change the top layer of the floor composite from "Core" to either "Finish" or "Other". Only then the opening wouldn't cut it out. I'm not sure about your situation, if you have basic structure then this doesn't apply of course.
Łukasz Pietraszko
ArchiCAD 26 PL, since AC20 | WIN 10 Home
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB | 500 GB SSD
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Luca,

Thanks for joining.

Already tried changing core to finish with no result... but as you said it worked, could you please check the file if there is something else that we are missing?

Cheers,
Paulo
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lingwisyer wrote:
Looking at your screenshot again, is your floor a basic slab or part of a composite? I do not think that there is a way to get a basic slab to continue through. Instead use a single layer composite.

Sorry Ling. Forgot to answer your last question... I've tried both situations (Basic and composite) with no result.
Learn and get certified!