BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Pen & Colours

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys!

I always draw in black and white in Archicad. However it is very tidious work to always change each object's line colours to black.

So I modified my own penset, where each colour is either black or white. The problem is that most objects have different standard colour, so now sometimes when I place for eg. a stair, the fill is black. Is there a downloadable penset for black and white drawing, or do I have to find the right colours by experimenting and then change them to black?

Thank you in advance!
11 REPLIES 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Pretty sure ArchiCAD should come shipped with some standard templates, just start a new pln based on a standard template and that should give you correct pensets to work with the object library. Save this file and you can import the pensets with Attribute Manager.

I could share the dutch standard pensets, but I doubt they will work with your library.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
It does come with standard templates. However the templates are colourful. When I put down for eg. a chair its standard colour is green. There is a monochrome penset, but by using it some objects are grey. I would like everything to be black lines.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Coloured pensets are just for the working view, you use the monochrome ones for the drawings you place on layouts.

The colours clue you in on penweights.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all thank you for answering!

I would like to have all the lines black in my working view as well. The colourful plan hinders me in my work or during consultations.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Use the black pensets and just change the settings in the objects as needed then

You can switch pensets on the fly with the quick options palette, by the way

I suppose I'm just part of the dinosaurs who used the coloured lines on 2d CAD with black backgrounds

We have the first 10 pens set for line weights in the dutch template, the colours just tell me if it's right weight for each element in a glance. I really like it, if I want to have a look at print settings, I just swap pensets with quick options or tab to the layoutbook.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
These are my pensets.
It is a lot of work to go through each object that I've placed and change its colour. There must be an easier way.
Pensets.jpg
Michael Reed
Participant
Hi, We had this issue to start with, but also had the option on our printers and settings to simply print in "black and white". Mike
ArchiCAD 21 Solo, iMac 2.93GHz Intel Core i7 8GB OSX }
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I believe the answer is detailed in the ArchiCAD Online Help:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-18-int-reference-guide/configuration/attributes/pen...

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/tips/pen-sets/

But basically what it boils down to is that you can set all your Pens to Black except those that are used by elements for Background or Fill Background.
According to the above articles, these are:

Pens 19, 39, 59, 79, 99, 119, 139 plus
Pens 121 to 137.

In the Pen Sets Dialog you can see in the Description field of these Pens that they are all used for background or fill background.

One additional note is that in earlier ArchiCAD versions Pen 91 was the standard Fill Background Color for all Objects (it is now Pen 19). So you may have to set Pen 91 to White as well.

Let us know how it works.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
There are as many pen sets as there area ArchiCAD users. All made for different reasons. Mine of course are genius.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Learn and get certified!