Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Pointcloud modelling case study

Karol Argasinski
Enthusiast
Dear all,

Picture shows dome, with a lot (A LOT) of details. I have some ideas on how to do it, but it would be interested to hear out your opinions:

1. Pointcloud is so dense, it is possible to mesh, then maybe transfer to rhino and optimize geometry. Later on create grasshopper script.
2. Instead of using Grasshopper here, maybe PARAM-O is enough? I haven't still got time to check it, but probably it might be good for easier details/elements.
3. Just create GDL objects of "flowers" after geometry optimization, and try to somehow distribute it on dome in AC?

Would be nice to talk about it, as well as I am planning on sharing some workflows or ideas for that. Will see how it goes

For those who are interested, check us on social media (@bimfaktoria) and also about software for those orthophotomaps, the one and only PointCab. Totally recommend that. If you are interested in pointcloud software solutions, that's the software you were looking for.

Best,
Karol
OPENBIM does works!
ArchiCAD 22/23/24/25/26/27 INT &POL

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 128GB RAM, GeForce RTX 3070, Windows 11 Pro
MBP 14 M1 Max 10C 32GB
http://www.bimfaktoria.pl/
2 REPLIES 2
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Is there any way to get any near to this dome for the costumers in builded reality?

I think not.

normally its hovering >20m above their heads.

So - in my opinion, there is no need to construct every single form in 3D.

I just would make a simple rounded dome-form and then texturize it with the right settings to get it look good from ground-level. Saves much worktime, much Processor-Power...

We Architects like to fly in our 3D -models like we all would have wings to get near to this forms above, but in reality, nobody can fly - maybe with drones but normally, its forbidden to fly with drones in buildings...

So - there is - for me - no need for such complexity.

Keep it as simple as needed.
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Nader Belal
Mentor
Well it will depend on the final desired outcome.

For instance, if that dome and it's motives are considered as heritage that must be conserved, then I would expect that all the motives must be modelled to an extreme.

If the previous statement was your case, I think that you should considered the dome as an object of objects,
ie: The element (the dome) is composed of many elements, that although they appear similar, each must be identified separately of quantifiable elements, that have the ability to store data

If the previous cases are not your case, then simplify

Check your forums inbox
A good friend of mine have once told me that I´m so brute that I´m capable of creating a GDL script capable of creating GDLs.