BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Priority Based Connections between Slabs and Walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm not able to get connections between a specific material in the slab and the same material in the wall.

How can I troubleshoot this?

When I bring up the composite, there's no way to play with intersection priorities there; I have to close the window, then open the materials window and it just seems like a totally cumbersome way of working.

I'm trying to get the materials in 1) to connect. At 2), there is a separator between two slabs.
1 REPLY 1
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Take a look at your template / building materials.

Going from high (999) to low you want roughly a break up as:
- SEO operators
- structural concrete for slabs
- structural steel
- structural plywood
- structural wood
- roof finishes (tiles, thatched etc)
- structural concrete
- thermal insulation
- air gap
- non-structural concrete and bricks
- outer finishes (metal, plaster, wood panelling etc)
- PE foils and the like
- gypsum board finishes
- insulation for light separation structures (metal-stud walls and the like)
- inner finishes
- cement for floor finish
- earth / water / other terrain stuff

Following this principle (which is pretty much 99% how the standard template works, at least for the NL version), I can't say I have many problems with connections.

Basically you sometimes need two building materials for one type of product, for when it has a structural function and when it is of secondary importance to the load-bearing part of your model.

Insulation sometimes is tricky and may require some Complex Profile work (removing insulation where you can't get it done by automatic connection etc), but generally we can leave this until we get around to building permit documentation stage of a project.

Hope this helps a bit!

You might need to go over some of your composites to re-assign some building materials that should be more of a finish and less of a structural type.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!