BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Question to Graphisoft about PARAM-O

PARAM-O tool was made in AC24 update 3. But is there plan that objects inside Archicad native libraries will be remade with PARAM-O tool ?

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

8 REPLIES 8
DGSketcher
Legend

That's for GS to decide, BUT programming in Param-O is SEVERLY limited in comparison to GDL scripting. On balance I would say no and personally I don't think Param-O has much of a future. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
bouhmidage
Advisor

Param-O was killed before it's birth ....

creating curved sunshades is not a HUGE thing thats make me try it, 

I already posted a thread about making paramo an assembly tool for small objects, like doors, furniture, 

A door could be an assemly of small parts : casing, leaf, handle, etc, instead of coding a door in gdl, you can model all components, no need to be parametric, if possible why not ! , then make an assembly

that would take it to another level

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects

It sad that in Your opinion PARAM-O is dead thing. It would be nice to have some kind of user friendly tool for creation of objects in Archicad (something similar like in REVIT creating families). But as I see that tool should be used by Graphisoft itself, just just a fancy tool that no one uses as PARAM-O is now. Not used PARAM-O much but is it creating some sort of GDL code, or it another programing language it is build on ?

GRAPHISOFT BIM Manager Training Week attendee
ArchiCAD v9 - v26 INT / NOR (5002)
cpu i5-12600K @ 5.0Ghz, ram 32GB, gpu 1060 GTX
ssd NVMe, Windows 11
ArchiCAD Discord channel: https://discord.gg/QdWxSJ33

It creates GDL code using basic commands and a lot of GROUPS to tie everything together.

It is not what I would call particularly editable code, but you wouldn't want to edit it because I think you will lose the Param-o link and it just becomes a GDL object.

It is quite sophisticated in what it can do, and when you see complex objects made with all of the control nodes and links between those nodes it is quite amazing.

But I wouldn't say it is easy to create these complex objects easily.

You really need to know what you are doing.

I prefer straight GDL myself.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I’ve always wondered why Revit is often ahead of Archicad while Archicad had existed long before Revit.

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

For me Param-O was really interesting and easy to use as not keen to go with GDL. Did some simple but useful exercises, if you get free time try my YouTube link https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLw82vkgAgA1UI7WAsmIWjIEOSrg1qbR1A

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB

@Rajesh Patil it seems the process is time consuming. If so, PARAM-O can't help when a project must be delivered on a timely basis. 

Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11

Not really, if you know Grasshopper then Param-O is very simple and easy to use. My basic aim was to work inside single software without investing too much in other software. GS should develop Param-O further as it will really help to design different objects with less programing knowledge.

Rajesh Patil
AC 09-27 | INT | WIN11 64
Dell Inspiron 7591, Core i9, 9880H 2.30GHz, 16.0GB, NVidia GeForce GTX1650, 4.0GB, SSD Internal 500GB, Dell SSD External 250GB
Learn and get certified!