Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Quick Layers Palette disappears

Anonymous
Not applicable
We have two computers in our office running ArchiCAD 9 (2018 USA FULL). From time to time the Quick Layers Palette disappears. The Quicklayers Palette cannot be invoked with our Keyboard Shortcut and it is not shown on the Restarting ArchiCAd Window/Palette Display menu. It is also not available under Options/Work Environment/Palette Schemes or anywhere else that it might normally show up in the Work Environment menus.

Because this is happening on two machines that are independent of each other we think it is a bug in this version of the software.

Please let us know if there is a solution or fix to the problem.
Thank you,
John
21 REPLIES 21
TomWaltz
Participant
Did you try a "New and Reset All" to see if it comes back? It could be some glitch within the Work Environment. (not accessible via the interface)
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:
Did you try a "New and Reset All" to see if it comes back? It could be some glitch within the Work Environment. (not accessible via the interface)
Tom,
The restart ArchiCAD seems to work to get the Quick Layer Palette back in the game. We generally look at New and Reset as a last resort solution as we then need to reset our Work Environment, etc. We used to use the New and Reset when the v8 toolbar would just disapear and not be found.

We are wondering if anyone else is having this problem?
Thank you,
John
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I have had the very same problem a couple months ago and reported that as a bug to GS Aus.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem on a regular basis. I have to manually turn it back on or re-apply working pref. set.
__archiben
Booster
johncassel wrote:
... it is not shown on the Restarting ArchiCAd Window/Palette Display menu.
i often get this with the Library Loading Report window. it's 'remembered' state is different to that displayed in the Window menu.

regarding the quicklayers palette: i don't believe that is actually a part of the work environment profile - except maybe for its position on screen. could this be the trouble?

i've actually made the quicklayers a part of toolbar. i see no reason why you couldn't define a specific toolbar for this purpose (if there isn't already) and save that as a part of the WE profile? it's a workaround, but one which may suit you until a fix?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
It seems that the last four items under, Window ---->Palette Display, can't be a part of the Palette Schemes in the Work Environment.

I have tried numerus times now but they just don't seem to be stored after a redefine of the WE. They can, however, have a short cut key assigned to them without ant problems.

One thing that is a little annoying though, is that every time you activate/deactivate on of the four that has a short cut assigned to it, the WE profile will say "Custom" all of the time.
johncassel wrote:
The restart ArchiCAD seems to work to get the Quick Layer Palette back in the game. We generally look at New and Reset as a last resort solution as we then need to reset our Work Environment, etc. We used to use the New and Reset when the v8 toolbar would just disapear and not be found.
John,
This simply should not be happening. If you have to redo your WE after a New & Reset, some thing else is wrong. Have you stored your profile? If you have your profile set as the default profile, after a New & Reset, it will be the WE that shows up after the New & Reset.

I suggest that you check to make sure that you have stored your WE correctly.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
johncassel wrote:
... it is not shown on the Restarting ArchiCAd Window/Palette Display menu.
i've actually made the quicklayers a part of toolbar. i see no reason why you couldn't define a specific toolbar for this purpose (if there isn't already) and save that as a part of the WE profile? it's a workaround, but one which may suit you until a fix?

~/archiben
Ben,
We do have a keyboard shortcut for the Quick Layers palette. Unfortunately, when the Quick Layers are gone the keyboard shortcut doesn't work. All references to Quick Layers seem to disappear.
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben wrote:

John,
This simply should not be happening. If you have to redo your WE after a New & Reset, some thing else is wrong. Have you stored your profile? If you have your profile set as the default profile, after a New & Reset, it will be the WE that shows up after the New & Reset.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben,
I haven't tried to use New and Reset in a couple of years. I am pleased to read that my Work Environment is preserved after New and Reset. Thanks for bringing me up to date.
John
Anonymous
Not applicable
Quicklayers still disapears every now and then on my computer. I restart ArchiCAD to get it to show back up but this is a time consuming hassel. How can we get the Graphisoft developers to work on fixing this problem?
Thank you,
John