BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Redefine elevations of site mesh AC9

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have created my site plan & topography with the mesh tool to the actual elevation control point. (lets say 217 feet). in one file.

For ease of model construction, I created my floor plan with main floor at 0 feet elevation in another file.

When I merge the two files, as expected, my "site" now hovers over my building model.

Is there a way to globally redefine the elevations of the mesh (without going in and redefine each element)?

I know I could redefine my building model elevation, but I like to keep my main floors @ 0' elev for ease of construction.

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Eduardo Rolon
Is there a particular reason for not moving the site (on a section, elevation, 3D view) in the Z-coordinate?
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Because I had not thought of that..... :lol:
Darn, I thought it would be a difficult problem...
Thanks.

This group is Great!!

Gary J Ahern
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION! It comes bundled with the software.
Eduardo Rolon
its the simple things…
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a Thought, but you may want to Bring the site into your plan as a previously saved Module.

In the File with the site, Set Layer Combinations as you like, Select all on Plan (or 3D view, My Site files usually only have one story so selecting all in Plan view is fine for me). Save As Module (Recommend un-checking "Save the Hotlink to the saved file".

Add and Place Hotlink to other file. Update Module as necessary. Raise and lower Module as necessary.

I actually stopped using Zero as the Floor Elevation and started to use the Actual Elevations. It is often a little difficult to adjust the Story Height in the Story Settings box, but working with the true heights allows for placement of "Smart" Elevation Line Markers that read the Z elevation and adjust as they are located within the Section views.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
IMHO you should really be using reference levels and setting your mesh point heights to them. Please see the attachement.

In your case, this may mean altering the z height of the entire mesh.

Reference levels are set at Options>Preferences>Working Units & Levels.

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
Link wrote:
IMHO you should really be using reference levels and setting your mesh point heights to them. Please see the attachement.
yes - this is the better method, although takes a little 'getting your head around it' time at the first attempt:

the idea is to firstly offset the 'reference level' by a negative value so that your building 'project zero' can remain at 0 yet allow you to set out terrain, slabs, steelwork, etc from a known surveryor's RL in their relevent dialogues . . . see link's last dialogue for the terrain height settings: that is available for all of the tools and from the 3D window.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!