BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Relevant stories vs. manually setting floor plan display

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't understand why some objects in ARCHICAD allow you to customise the floor plan display to a very granular level (e.g. show on one story above and two stories below - like a slab), where as other objects can only be home story or "relevant" stories. It seems the former should be applied across all objects to allow for maximum customisation

Is there a particular reason why "Relevant stories" exist that is better than the other way??
9 REPLIES 9
Eduardo Rolon
Nope. Multiple wishes for the options to be consolidated. Assuming that the options were developed as new tools were introduced and that is why they are different.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Lingwisyer
Guru
What I do not get, that I have mentioned on other similar threads, is that the Home Story is not counted as Relevant by default...

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Barry Kelly
Lingwisyer wrote:
What I do not get, that I have mentioned on other similar threads, is that the Home Story is not counted as Relevant by default...
Ling.
Relevant just means the element is at least partially inside the storey range.
I am not sure why you would want to do this but you can place an element in one storey (I guess to set its height in relation to that storey) but still set its heights so it is entirely outside of that storey.
Therefore the logic is that there is nothing relevant to show in that home storey.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Glad to know I'm not the only one confused about this! Often what I think is "relevant" is much different from what ARCHICAD thinks is "relevant"...!
Lingwisyer
Guru
Barry wrote:
I am not sure why you would want to do this but you can place an element in one storey (I guess to set its height in relation to that storey) but still set its heights so it is entirely outside of that storey.

A few times I have had elements that sit just below the floor level. I have gotten around this by setting my Floor Plan Plan Range to a negative floor above and current floor.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Thomas Holm
Booster
I’d like to bump this thread!
Relevant just means the element is at least partially inside the storey range.
Therefore the logic is that there is nothing relevant to show in that home storey.
This “small” issue can become a major headache in some projects, especially when you’re dealing with complex floor heights, where you need to manipulate the story structure. As the designer, I should have the privilege to decide what is relevant to show. And for that, consistency among display options for building parts / tools / walls / objects etc. is essential. Today in Archicad 22 it is still possible to make a building part impossible to show in 2D by mistake! I should not have resort to manual methods (I.e. draw dumb contours, cut/paste to another story etc.) just to overcome the software’s shortcomings.

Despite not having used Revit, I think this is an issue where Revit’s Levels handling is superior to Archicad’s Stories.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
DGSketcher
Legend
+1 for the consistent dialog. All (3D) elements should have the same storey display options, I can't think of a reason why they shouldn't. Using the same dialog should help consolidate the program coding (?).
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Thomas Holm
Booster
IF not in Archicad 23, hopefully in 24?
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I think 'relevant' means it checks the floorplan projection range. You then (sometimes) have the option to show entire element or project floorplan range for things which might not have the same shape on every story.

There's a few things we generally draft with single plane roofs since these indeed offer a lot of options to make the floorplans look 'good'.

A couple of things I've noticed that work well over the years: main structure and facaded tend to work well with 'relevant', secondary walls work well with home story only. By default floor plan seems to project down a whole story, while ussually you just want to show to the level of the story, this ussually gets rid of a lot of unwanted doors/windows from stories below.

Finally dashed lines, crossed symbols and such ussually work well with 2d objects that have a script to dash on a story below/above and have full line on home story.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!