Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Renovation Filter nightmare

Anonymous
Not applicable
Plain and simple, I hate the damn renovation filter.
I think I have it's ugly head turned off, then it pops up again.
This time I have my default line type set to solid line and it shows up dashed.
I then have to select it and then turn set renovation filter to existing.
I should have COMPLETE control of line type from line dialog box right from the start which it will not let me.
Or there should be a simple way to turn it OFF in the WE, or somewhere and have it stay OFF!

reno .png
14 REPLIES 14
Eduardo Rolon
This palette is what t refers to.
Screen Shot 2013-07-22 at 6.53.38 PM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Anonymous
Not applicable
You should be able to click "existing" as a default setting for all elements in a project. This way you can ignore the filter if you want. Unfortunately, for some reason or another, the default elements selection changes. Often while I am navigating in a project, the default changes from existing to proposed, or visa versa. I usually have to check all my drawings and put elements on the correct filter.

I too would like to be able to turn it off. It is unnecessary in new projects, for example.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
This just occurred to me while reading here...

Workaround #445....

In the RENOVATION FILTER SETTINGS
- Delete all but ONE renovation filter
- Set this filter to SHOW | SHOW | SHOW...

In theory, there will be no other filter for it to switch to... and this filter always shows everything per their own settings (not overridden by the reno filter)...

I happen to really enjoy it[the reno filter]! And wish it were MORE robust to be able to show PHASING or OPTIONS...

I do struggle... especially going from 2d plan to 3d window... often it chooses this time to switch from RENO to EXISTING...

Let me know if this helps...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I posted below thinking it is not possible to delete ALL the reno filters....

I, unfortunately can't test it now, as I need the reno filters going...

If, by some weird chance, it forces you to keep more than one, just set them all to SHOW, SHOW, SHOW....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Karl Ottenstein
Reasonable workaround... but it is still the case that 3d4draww's line was flagged as a 'demo' element - which means some out-of-the-box setting was changed by 3d4draww at some point. (Or there is a bug in the default templates.) The workaround will let all elements show in their normal way... but some elements may be tagged existing, demo, new unless the Reno palette is activated to define the default... and all tool settings/favorites are checked to make sure they are using the desired default. If the tagging will never matter - the user will NEVER do a renovation or export the tags - then, yeah, the workaround will make reno appear to disappear.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I checked this area of the software as I got intrigued by it.

I agree with Karl: I think the user must have had at some point change the Reno Filter from "01 Existing Plans" to something else for any of the above to occur (unless there is a bug we can detect and confirm).

I checked the ArchiCAD Template: the default setting for Reno Status is "Existing" and for Reno Filter it is "01 Existing Plans". This affects all Tools. If you go to the Settings Dialog of any element after starting a new project from the default template, you will see that its Reno Status default is now "Existing".

Another thing to consider is saved Views since Views store the Reno Filter state. Therefore when activating a saved View it is possible that your Reno Filter changes. However, in the default Template all Views are saved with the "01 Existing Plans" Reno Filter. So even that way you cannot switch accidentally from the "Existing" Reno Status or the "01 Existing Plans" Reno Filter. So I must conclude that unless there is a bug in the program which causes these to switch around for no reason, I must think that it was the user who had to change these settings at some point and forgot about it.
One additional word about saved Views: make sure no View is saved with the "Missing" or "Custom" (this may not even be possible) setting as in that case you won't know the result for sure.

I also checked Favorites but Favorites do not seem to play a role in this since applying a Favorite to an element does not alter the Reno Status of the element in any way.

One way I can imagine such settings could get into the file is by opening an older file which had such non-template settings in it.
But I think you could try this: set the Reno Status to "Existing" and the Reno Filter to "01 Existing Plans". Then make sure all your Views store the "01 Existing Plans" Reno Filter. Regarding Duane's worksround, I would suggest to keep the "01 Existing Plans" Reno Filter just because all default saved Views refer to it. Then set the settings for "Existing", "To be Demolished" and "New" all to "Show".
I could also suggest that if you want to make extra sure they will not get overridden, then go to the "Renovation Override Styles" Dialog and uncheck all checkboxes for all three Reno Statuses. This way, even if you accidentally switch to another Filter (I don't know how since there will be only one ), the override style will not be ableto cause any change to the appearance of elements.

Now that this is done we can take up the case of the elements that are already set to a Reno Status other than "Existing". For all the above to work we would have to make sure all elements in all Viewpoint of the Project have their Reno Status set to "Existing". The Edit\Element Settings\Edit Selection Set command can help in this. Make sure all your layers are visible and use Find & Select to select all elements of whatever type the Reno Status of whcih is not 'Existing". Then use this command and in its Dialog, set the Renovation Status to "Existing". This will change it for all selected elements in one step. However, this will need to be done in all Viewpoint, all Floor Plans, Section, Elevations etc. The reason I am not suggesting doing it in the 3D Viewpoint is because only 3D elements will appear in 3D so you would still have to go through all Stories to make sure all 2D elements are also set to the "Existing" Reno Status.

One final thought: I think the idea behind using the Reno Statuses and Filter is that when you switch to for example Existing, you want to work on the Existing structures for a longer period of time, you don't want to switch it all around. And so setting the Reno Status will affect the default settings of all elements from there on. You do not need to switch the Reno Filter around in my opinion. And it is possible to just switch it to existing at the beginning of the project and leave it alone.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
All good points...

But I have to suggest that it is my experience that the RENO Filter (Filter, not the individual status of objects) ABSOLUTELY changes with[out] cause (that I know)...

It happens between the 2d and 3d windows typically... I know that they both are governed individually, but I can be looking in the 3d window using the RENO ELEVATION filter... go back to PLAN (using the RENO PLAN filter) then go back to the 3d window and it's set to 01 Existing... This is NOT a freak accident as it will happen more often than not..

Most of the time, and I've not pinpointed the circumstance exactly, but it may have something to do with View MARQUEE / SELECTION... as in the specific elements selected.... Again not really sure.

I believe this has been discussed somewhere here before.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
In that case I want to ask anyone who can give some steps to reproduce this shifting of Reno Status to provide it so GS can handle it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
The bug in AC16 (build 3827) [fixed in 17], is that when in plan view, and the Reno filter is set to New Construction, New can be selected in the Renovation palette as expected. When changing to the 3D Window via keyboard command or right-click (not using a View), the Reno Filter changes to Existing Plan, so the Renovation palette setting changes to To be Demolished (since New is not an option under this filter). Change back to plan view, the Reno Filter changes back to New Construction, but the Renovation palette setting changes to Existing (since To Be Demolished is hidden in this Filter). [I just checked this again in 16.] When changing windows this way, the other settings remain (Layer Combination, MVO, etc) it is just the Reno Filter that changes. This caused me no end of problems in AC16 until I figured out the cause.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14