Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Renovation filters behave strange

kosta
Booster

Hi.

All is good except new elements are displaying walls while I have only doors to be demolished, I don't want that opening to be filled with wall after door is taken out of wall, it should left the passage in idea.

renovation.jpg

First is existing plan and is ok 

Second is door which is to be demolished and is ok

Third is after demolition and is ok

But fourth one is not ok , why it behaves like that ? Thanks for help !  

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly

If your were to simply delete the door, Archicad would heal the wall.

I guess the renovation filters are doing the same logic.

You are demolishing the door so there needs to be a new wall to fill the gap.

You could split the wall either side of the door and demolish the whole wall and door.

Or add in a new opening.

If you were modelling it all as new you would be doing the same thing.

Either two separate walls or a wall with an opening.

So when using the renovation filters you still need to tell Archicad to demolish the wall or add an opening.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

Solution

I don't use the renovation filters very much.

I assume the side lines are missing because you have a new door going in that space.

In my image here you can see the door on the left is not being replaced (by another door - but Archicad will add a new wall automatically).

The door on the right will be replaced with another door - so that is probably why the side lines are not there.

BarryKelly_0-1645864054969.png

I can't see any settings to make this any different.

I am inclined to agree with you that the side lines should show though.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Solution
Barry Kelly

If your were to simply delete the door, Archicad would heal the wall.

I guess the renovation filters are doing the same logic.

You are demolishing the door so there needs to be a new wall to fill the gap.

You could split the wall either side of the door and demolish the whole wall and door.

Or add in a new opening.

If you were modelling it all as new you would be doing the same thing.

Either two separate walls or a wall with an opening.

So when using the renovation filters you still need to tell Archicad to demolish the wall or add an opening.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
kosta
Booster

Hello @Barry Kelly 

Sorry I pressed accept solution accidently... when I set after demolition it shows doors as openings and it is ok , but I don't want that door to be filled with wall, why you filling wall with brick if I'm demolishing only doors? I understand what you're saying like when I delete door it will fill a wall but deleting on a drawing and setting it as demolished is 2 different purposes.

Can I somehow automate process and set demolished doors to turn into openings when status  "new construction" is set ? 

I have set as "Not the Solution" -  you should be able to do that too if you decide it is not really a solution.

Unless that is just a moderator thing we can do.

Human logic says you are deleting a door, so there should just be an opening left.

But Archicad logic says you are deleting a door so it needs to fill in the wall.

If you were swapping the door for a window, then you would demolish the door and add a new window.

Same with an opening, you need to demolish the door and add a new opening.

What if you wanted an opening there of a slightly smaller size?

The way you are thinking is, you would demolish the door, Archicad would leave an opening, then you would have to add a new wall and then add a new smaller opening.

Archicad says you demolish the door, it adds a new wall automatically, then you add the new smaller opening that you want.

Much easier and makes sense when you think about it.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
kosta
Booster

Thank you @Barry Kelly , I understand and agree that is more better way to do that, it is just complicated a little bit to understand what is going on under the hood.

But I still have a strange behavior, will show that:

ACissue.jpg

"after demolition" state is hiding the wall width lines as you can see, why it behaves like that?

Solution

I don't use the renovation filters very much.

I assume the side lines are missing because you have a new door going in that space.

In my image here you can see the door on the left is not being replaced (by another door - but Archicad will add a new wall automatically).

The door on the right will be replaced with another door - so that is probably why the side lines are not there.

BarryKelly_0-1645864054969.png

I can't see any settings to make this any different.

I am inclined to agree with you that the side lines should show though.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
kosta
Booster

@Barry Kelly Thank you for response, now I have to add a lines by adding new layer and inserting them manually by keeping them in layer, quite time consuming I have to say, have dozens of old doors that needs to be taken out of walls and just replaced with new ones in same place, I didn't find a way to make that line visible too.. (except turning window into projeted mode but that will disable symbolic view which I preffer in that case, that also helps the door but projected shows the sill line which I don't want for doors to see), in other words manually draw lines for each door is only choice now to keep that correct.

You said that you don't use renovation filters, why ? are renovation tools buggy ?

I found renovation workflow very usable and quite convenient as it keeps everything in single place without need to copy same drawing several times for each representation.

If it's a bug I will be glad if dev team will look into that issue, and too bad you don't release hotfixes)

Do you need to show a version of the plan with the doors removed?

One to show what is existing, one for what will be demolished and another to show what is new.

I am not so sure there would need to be one to show after demolition - but there could be if you think so.

The reason I don't use the renovation filters is I only work on new projects.

Rarely do I do anything with additions or renovations.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
kosta
Booster

@Barry Kelly  I understand that different countries have different standarts for showing various states of work while draw.

Yes of course I need to show the plan with doors/windows removed as far as it has "after demolition" view function, I didn't made that renovation tool right?) AC have that functionality already which is correct and works well till you put a new door above old. then it starts that wall width line disappearing. anyway temporally solution is found, hope that will be improved in future releases.

kosta
Booster

here I have a door frame only and I want frame to be demolished, then I inserted opening in new wall for creating gypsum board inside, all is good except when I switch to planned status

it spoils the connection of gypsum wall ( in fact any wall)

and only way to deal is to disable intersections, but in this case all intersections of new and existings walls will be off all over the drawing, see the video.

I can upload a scene if needed, thank you for your time, so far previously we found one bug related to line disappearing, I hope I'm not bothering you too much, just trying to finish my drawing and use all tools AC have in renovation toolset.   Thank you ! 

The issue was solved by changing a junction order, but what it has to do with that certain situation I have no idea..