Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Reset user origin 'on the fly' not working in AC9

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a keystroke sequence I used in AC8 all the time, which I can't get to work in AC9. It has to do with resetting the user origin on the fly to draw or insert something relative to a point.

Bear in mind I use a mac, so the keys may be slightly different.

In AC8... If I go to draw a line (for instance), and before the first click I hover the cursor over an element (and get the 'tick') I can press <Shift, Option> and the origin would reset to that point. If i then press <x> <500> <return>, the line would commence from that point 500 away from the origin. I can then continue drawing the line. It is usefil for drawing elements, inserting objects,... basically everything.

In AC9 I can reset the origin as above, but when I press <x> <500> <return>, it puts the cursor out there, but will not start the command (ie. the line -in the above example)

I can't get it working, and am wondering If I'm missing something. Surely it is (or was) a widely used technique.

Thanks!
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know if Mac is different to windows in this regard, but without repositioning your origin, when you have the "tick" just type "<x> <distance> <+> <enter>" and it will start command (line, wall, whatever) that distance away from initial tick. Same goes for -direction. Use the number keypad, not the numbers above keys, for the + or it will not register (as + needs shift key also).
Shift-Alt does set user origin in windows, don't know why it wouldn't for Mac. Double click on origin icon and it resets to 0,0.
Please excuse my ignorance but the only Mac I have tried ends with Donalds.
HTH
__archiben
Booster
andthen01 wrote:
In AC9 I can reset the origin as above, but when I press <x> <500> <return>, it puts the cursor out there, but will not start the command (ie. the line -in the above example)

I can't get it working, and am wondering If I'm missing something. Surely it is (or was) a widely used technique.
there is a bug that is still not fixed despite my hassling which occurs whenever trying to start a poly-method input by typing in values. whether polylines, polywalls, etc . . .

you have to either draw one segment at a time and group them later or click the first point (you are able to type input values from the second node onwards should you wish).

HTH
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Erika Epstein
Booster
with this post I have finally caught up on architalk
and Ben,
just when are you going to finish that beer?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
__archiben
Booster
Erika wrote:
just when are you going to finish that beer?
but how do you know it's the same beer?

(time for a change, eh?)

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Erika Epstein
Booster
touché!
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben

You did look happier with a beer in your hand though.
Go the A.B's

(oops sorry, did I say that out loud?)
Anonymous
Not applicable
You are right ben, it is during poly-inputs. Very annoying Graphisoft, as it is a basic interface bug. FIX IT!!!!!
ps. your shout
__archiben
Booster
s2art wrote:
You did look happier with a beer in your hand though.
Go the A.B's
i'll have a beer in my hand on saturday night. and i'll be even happier when the AB's get walloped into touch . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
__archiben
Booster
andthen01 wrote:
You are right ben, it is during poly-inputs. Very annoying Graphisoft, as it is a basic interface bug. FIX IT!!!!!
ps. your shout
i reported it several times during beta. very annoying indeed. i'll follow it up again and see what happens . . .

my shout? how did that happen?

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t