Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: AC12 observations

Sam Wheatley
Contributor
David Lee wrote:
I've been using AC12 for a couple of days, and here are my observations so far...

1. Advanced 2d draw options - hardware acceleration causes my text to look a bit 'rough', less anti-aliased and more 'bold' at certain zoom levels. I decided to turn off hardware acceleration for now.

2. Speed - I have a core duo (2 cores), and so far am pretty happy w/ overall speed in day to day work.

3. Favorites window - There are nice horizontal separator lines between each item in the favorites, which makes it easier to scroll through. Little but nice improvement.

4. 3d document and the 3d dimensions - really cool!

5. curtainwall tool - still exploring.

6. splash logo - like it a lot more than v11. No offense to FLW, but that image was way too boring and way too calm...

1. I see speed increases, but I'm not on a new fast computer ( speed is always a welcome addition)

2. 3D documentation is a nice addition, I will use it alot.

3. Curtain Wall - I have no use for curtain walls in my practice, but I see possibilities for this tool to be used with any repetitive item handrails, fences, framing plans as I was just informed, etc. I look forward to other users in Architalk adding to this discussion on this item.

4. text wrapping in zone stamps, a small but very useful addition, I will now use zones for room labels. I am disappointed that the zone tool did not improve its accesability to scheduling information in its dialog box. I also had hoped for 3 options in ceiling height types (actual height 9'-0", Typical, or Varies) if I new GDL I could probably do this myself.

5. Dimension tool upgrade is very nice.

6. I will continue to use 3rd party windows and doors because the current ones in AC don't allow me to stack windows as many horiz. and with transom or fixed units above, recognized as one window type such as a group of windows mulled together are one type and to be scheduled as such. (so disappointed with the current windows)

I have alot more to say - to be continued
ArchiCad 26 US

IMac Pro

iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB

NIVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable
IMHO, distribute tool is not very helpful that way, it's better to select one object and distribute it N-times or based on distance like 3ds max tool.
TomWaltz
Participant
ameo wrote:
IMHO, distribute tool is not very helpful that way, it's better to select one object and distribute it N-times or based on distance like 3ds max tool.
"Distribute" is intended more for correcting elements you already have placed, not for new ones (That's "Multiply"). The use I like it for is if I have several objects in a line evenly spaced 5' apart and want to bump that up to 6' apart.
Tom Waltz
Dennis Lee
Booster
So far, the two things that really stand out for me are the dimension improvements and the 3d document.

The 3d document really makes it easy to put 3d information into the drawing set, making full use of the 3d model and making our drawings stand out, IMHO.

I still haven't explored the CW tool fully, but I wish they'd put the storefront objects back into the standard library... Storefronts are more like doors and windows, and I thought they worked fine as they were.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Karl Ottenstein
Very nice use of the wireframe layer control, Dennis. I hadn't thought about using it in a 3DD. Very effective.

Thanks,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Sam Wheatley
Contributor
I'm interested in the curtain wall tools potential. If it were more a multi purpose tool for repetitive items that each can be customized. instead of calling it curtain wall tool, more a general purpose tool that you open the dialog box and see selections like curtain wall, fence, trim (such as trim with both vertical and horiz. definition), handrails, etc. items which extrude won't create. It could have predefined shapes for each individual usage, much like those for complex walls. Not taking away from what they did but just thinking ahead.
ArchiCad 26 US

IMac Pro

iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 16 GB

NIVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got a new dual core intel imac and for the first time working in section/ elevation is not laborious. The speed increase for these functions is really good. 3d view is also good. The grid tool enhancements are a big plus. Curtain wall tool holds a lot of promise but needs more work. Oh! Did I forget dimensioning?
PatriciaLe_o
Participant
Yeah! The dimensions are not stupid anymore! They go horizontal and vertical without having to tell it to! It was really annoying!
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra
Rakela Raul
Participant
Yeah! The dimensions are not stupid anymore! They go horizontal and vertical without having to tell it to! It was really annoying!
be careful, several masters here loved it !!!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
PatriciaLe_o
Participant
Rakela wrote:
be careful, several masters here loved it !!!
I was not being sarcastic... I loved it too!
Patricia Leão

AC21 INT Full
MacOSHighSierra