Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: ArchiCAD 10 in Windows Vista?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know if anybody else has tried Vista (I got a beta version I'm trying out on a spare hard drive). Anyways, it seems that Windows Vista crashes anytime you try to move, copy, or delete an ArchiCAD 10 .pln or .bpn file in the explorer. This is likely not anything Graphisoft needs to be concerned with other than notifying Microsoft to fix the bug.
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've got Vista beta RC1 downloaded off Microsofts site.
I havent installed yet. I will try this weekend and then try AC10.
Keep ya posted.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tried reinstalling Vista and then loading the ATI made driver first before ArchiCAD. Things are smooth now.
stefan
Expert
I can not seem to install the WIBU driver for my dongle... The most recent drivers from WIBU are not digitally signed and Vista just doesn't allow to install them...

Any tips?
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
stefan
Expert
Follow up from Wibu support:
Dear Mr. Boeykens,

at the moment we do not support Windows Vista, because there is no final version of this operating system.
The RC1 version is only a pre release version, so we can not offer you support for it.

But we already test Vista RC1 and the new RC2, so you can be sure that there will be a working WIBU-KEY driver for the Release Version of Windows Vista.
Till then it is not allow to the support team to provide Beta version to endcustomers.

Additionally:
Please send your further inquiries to our Belgian office mailto:support@wibu.be

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards,

Christian Goebel
So it will be only available after Vista is released. I will try to activate it as an educational version, then and see what happens.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a note, my install of RC1 is working great, but I have the student version, so there is no dongle. I know there is a way to bypass the need for a driver to be digitally signed, but you must be logged on with administrator priviledges.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I mean, the student version of Archicad.
stefan
Expert
I've managed to get the educational version working. The problem is indeed the WIBU drivers. I have admin rights, but could not circumvent the lack of digital signature in the drivers.

I have had a crash in the combination with MaxonForm, but it has worked with a basic object just before that.

Experience seemed reasonable, although the OpenGL acceleration was much less smooth then in XP Pro. I assume this to be a result of the AERO DirectX interface, which places OpenGL inside a separate layer...

I'll try with more recent versions.

On a sidenote: AutoCAD 2007 works, Revit not.
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've actually seen my OpenGL performance enhanced in Vista over XP, but that is likely because my version of XP is Home Media Center, and it doesn't manage resources as well as pro (also, I had acumulated a lot of junk through all that time that I was having difficulty getting out of the registry. Vista is much more robust in that regard at protecting the registry from not just malware, but just poorly written software (Autocad is one of the worst offenders at slowing down windows and becoming impossible to eradicate if you choose to uninstall). Anyways, I have been getting messages from Microsoft suggesting that the full retail release will be before the end of the year, and if so, it is definitely worth the upgrade in my opinion because it is hands down better than XP.

P.S. - If you have an ATI graphics card, they do have a Vista driver that works much better than the Microsoft provided driver.
Anonymous
Not applicable
As a side note it looks like there may be some issues with MS' implementation of the new security features in Vista...

CNET Article: Why Microsoft is wrong on Vista security