Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

!Restored: Organic Buildings In Archicad 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all!

3rd year architectural student here....been working with Archicad 10 for about a year now, on and off, not my main drawing program but the program I use for 3D rendering for Uni so Ive had no formal training in Archicad - pretty much self-taught.

Anyway, for my latest design project I designed an organic building at a Harbour, where the roof is pretty much self supporting and form the overhead and side enclosure to allow freeform design of internal spaces - something similar to the curved red building on the Archicad 10 loading screen.

I dont, however, have the slightest idea of how to do that in Archicad, as this is the first time Ive tried my hand at Organic Architecture. Do you guys know of any tutorials out there explaining how this is done or can you please give me some tips? Would greatly appreciate it!

Cheers!
Rouan
20 REPLIES 20
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rouan:

You should post some images of what you are trying to model to get better feedback here, the complexity of the building form (singly curved, doubly curved, etc.) will determine which approach (s) might work.

You should add a Signature to your Profile (click the Profile button near the top of this page) with your ArchiCAD version and operating system (see mine for an example) for more accurate help in this forum.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok here goes...I only designed it by hand so far so here goes:
kalkbay.jpg
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Rouan:

ArchiCAD is not geared towards creating free forms (there are some add ons for this that create the forms in another application then transfer to ArchiCAD as objects), but there are some techniques you can try.

For the "Building grows from context" you should be able to use the Profile Manager (read the Help files) to create the wall in section, then use the Wall Tool to place the wall. Then use the Slab Tool for the roof.

For the "Self supporting curved roof structure" you can try the technique above, but use the Beam Tool instead of the Wall Tool (ArchiCAD 10 does not allow Custom Profiles to be used with walls curved in plan, the current version does). You cannot curve a beam, but you can set the Magic Wand Settings... to a high number of segments and magic wand an arc to get a good approximation of the form. If you need more freedom of form, then you can try using the Mesh Tool, but this will be tedious.

Search the forum, this topic has been discussed before (check which version of ArchiCAD is being used), you may get some other ideas that fit with what you are trying to accomplish.

Good luck,

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Thomas Holm
Booster
David wrote:
Rouan:

ArchiCAD is not geared towards creating free forms (there are some add ons for this that create the forms in another application then transfer to ArchiCAD as objects),...
So true. Archicad is mainly geared to efficient design and document production for more ordinary more or less rectilinear buildings. Graphisoft supplies a connection to C4D (previously MaxonForm), but to use it you have to buy that software. (I'm not sure about student options)

Do a search for free-form in this forum and you'll get some info.

If your requirements are not too advanced, perhaps a 3D mesh object like the one linked here might suffice.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
I will advise you to learn a true 3D modelling program like Max or Maya and model your forms there. Then import them in Ac and you will be able to get floorplans, sections and elevations. Thus you will have great modelling capabilities with the best CAD performance!
Anonymous
Not applicable
An old project that illustrates this approach:
Djordje
Ace
Frankly, except for the personal preference, I don't see why all of that could not have been done in 6.o.

Yes, the tent too - remember GDL Toolbox?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Rakela Raul
Participant
Frankly, except for the personal preference, I don't see why all of that could not have been done in 6.o.

im with the moderator.....organic ? the tent?
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rakela wrote:

im with the moderator.....organic ? the tent?
An extra vote , can't find a reason why not ? Mesh tool complex profile and SEO , can do some real serious complex shapes. ok getting the perfect full BIM information of that is another issue ( scheduling , correct representation in plans ...etc ) , but talking about modeling, can't find any reason of using other software for the mentioned examples.