BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Revit or archicad? Where can i find out...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Revit or archicad? Where can i find out in spain or any other country which BIM program they use most? Because in every country it's different. Anyone knows about any trustworthy sources?
4 REPLIES 4
Hello aaronwilliamson,

I strongly recommend against adopting a tool on the pretext that it is the most used. Popularity is in no way linked to quality. We should ask ourselves about the motivations for adopting BIM and the expected needs. Need real-time collaboration via macOS and Windows ? Need a tool using all the hardware resources of my computer station ? Need an easy-to-use ergonomic tool ? Etc.

For many questions the answer remains Archicad and for revit remains the argument of the number which will never encourage quality ; especially about openBIM or Archicad is also the best and has always been!
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
rob2218
Enthusiast
Well worded Christophe.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
zeno77
Newcomer

Thank you very much. Yes, I've heard that Archicad is more popular in Europe. I would also prefer Archicad than Revit. Revit can be sluggish and frustrating at times, whereas Archicad never does. In my situation, both of them are functionally equivalent. It depends on the individual; if you are proficient with Archicad, you may never need to utilise Revit. But if it's essential to fit in, I'm willing to swap.

jl_lt
Ace

If i had gone with tide i would be using Revit now. Thankfully i took a leap of faith on Archicad (after testing on both of course). Has been a life changer for me.

Also, not only would one need to ask what is most popular (which at the end is irrelevant) but also these questions that have been passed upon us by the old masters:

-Do i value navigating my own design in an effective way in 3d?  yes) Archicad no) Revit

-Do i want my own software change my design without me noticing? yes) Revit No) Archicad (most of the time that is)

-Am im confortable saying a client to suck it up and that they dont have a say in which software we are going to use?  Yes) Any software No) Revit

-do i want to spend high amounts of money on state of the art computing to have a small resemblance of smoothness or do i want to keep working like a breeze in my 3 year old laptop?  A)revit B) Archicad 

-Am i doing (probably pretentious) stuff that needs elements with double curvatures and what not? Yes) Revit  No) Archicad (but you can also do that with Rhino and Grasshopper) (Rectangular buildings can also be pretentious, so pretentiosness is not the software´s fault)

-do i want to join a multinational office working in projects on the hundreds of thousands sqr meters with dozens of other people?   yes) Revit No) Archicad (can also be done though)

-Am i going to be modeling rebar on columns and beams?  Yes) Revit No) Archicad

-am i going to do all the calculations for electricity and plumbing or do i just need to model whats give to me by my consultants? A) revit B) Archicad (starting 24 its begining to be great on this)

-Do i want to actually smile as i see my model come to life?  yes) Archicad No) Revit 

-Do i think Tex-Mex burritos are real tacos? Yes)Revit No) Archicad

-Do i Like Zaha Hadid more than David Chipperfield or Tadao Ando? Yes) Revit No) Archicad

-Do i want to have custom made objects with lots of parametricity while at the same time neglecting the rest of the building? Yes) Revit No) Archicad

-Do i want to be able to print all my drawings at the click of a button while watching youtube videos? Yes) Archicad No) Revit

-Do i want to actually design on my model or do i need to have everything figured out before drawing a wall? A) Archicad B) Revit

And on and on. Hope it helps

Learn and get certified!