BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Roof Kickers

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a condition and I am trying to figure this out before I start on the plan.

The house will have 2 pitches, a low kicker pitch, then the main structural pitch. I do not know these pitches as of yet but I have used 9:12 and 14:12 in the past. The condition I will be using will have a smooth transition between the 2 pitches.

Do I make it with the 2 pitches and there is some setting that escapes me that has them to be smooth?

Or do I do like 5 pitches and have each one smooth out as it moves from the main one to the lower one?

The catch is, (as seen in the photos attached), is I do not need to show the lines in the roof elevation or floor plan. It needs to be an invisible transition.

Method suggestions appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
other option. both just have to be "smooth"
Barry Kelly
To get an actual curve then you could try the shell tool or a complex profile wall or beam.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
To get an actual curve then you could try the shell tool or a complex profile wall or beam.

Barry.
Unfortunately even a perfect tangential transition from straight to curve has a line at the tangent. Image below is using a Complex Profile beam.
(PS existing building, not our design 😉 )
Erich
Contributor
While it's not as convenient as the roof tool, the shell it the answer. I have used it a number of times in the past few years for similar conditions where seams were completely unacceptable.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Erich
Contributor
s2art wrote:
Barry wrote:

Barry.
Unfortunately even a perfect tangential transition from straight to curve has a line at the tangent. Image below is using a Complex Profile beam.
The morph tool would fix that if it was a must.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
s2art wrote:
Barry wrote:

Barry.
The morph tool would fix that if it was a must.
Tried to convert it to a morph, but when I deleted the offending line it took the whole surface with it
Anonymous
Not applicable
Instead of deleting line, select both the curved surface and the tangental flat surface. then Design>Modify Morth>Smooth and merge faces. Make sure you preserve boundaries
Learn and get certified!