BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Roof at round corner and windows problem

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,

I have two problems:

a) how can I make a roof that would fit to my round corner hole ? (in the picture below). I think I can't do it in any way, or just don't know how...

b) there is many windows in this building and I need to have them without frames at first (just empty openinings), to unfold all the structure and have a good trace drawing for cutting paper and making model eventually. But I'd also like to be able to make a simple 3d model in the end, and for that reason I'd like to have all the frames back, in all windows. If I select all windows and let the archicad change empty opening to specific window type with specific frame (let's say that all have indentical frame and grill pattern), it will unfortunatelly change all window's size too. 1st 2nd and 3rd floor windows are different (2nd and 3rd are higher). I can do it one by one, but I'd like to save some time and effort.
Is there any way I can do it ?

I work on archicad 18. If not this version, maybe a newer can do it?
Thanks for any help in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
kielbasa wrote:
When we have windows ready, changing it to be able to see openings only, looks easy .
But I have openings inserted already, does it mean I have to change them to windows manually?
It would have been easy if all windows were the same, but they're different.
There is no way to pick one window type and let the archicad change all openings to this one type, leaving the windows' size same as the empty openings ?
One option is to select all the empty openings (best done in 3D Window), open the window's settings dialog box, navigate to the desired window's folder in the dialog box, then option+command click (icon should change to the syringe) on the desired window. The openings will be changed to the desired window at the original windows' sizes, but any settings that do not exist in the original window will come from the default window's settings.
Another option is to set up one window for each size of opening, then option-click (eye-dropper) the set up window and command+option click (syringe) each corresponding empty opening. These are the Mac keyboard shortcuts, there are corresponding ones for Windows
kielbasa wrote:
If it's about roof:
I'm trying to make multi-plane roof using spacebar and magic wand on the shape with one curved line but this is what happens - the highest roof point is created in the middle, whereas I'd like it to be at the top right corner.
Click on the Pivot Line for the side of the roof that needs to be vertical, when the pet palette appears select the Custom Plane Settings option (upper right), in the dialog box select the Plane Type: Gable option. Repeat for the other straight side.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
kielbasa wrote:
a) how can I make a roof that would fit to my round corner hole ? (in the picture below). I think I can't do it in any way, or just don't know how...
You can create a Multi-Plane Roof with a curved Pivot Line, and set the curve resolution, but the roof will be divided into flat segments. The way to do this in later ArchiCAD versions is with the Shell tool.
kielbasa wrote:
b) there is many windows in this building and I need to have them without frames at first (just empty openinings), to unfold all the structure and have a good trace drawing for cutting paper and making model eventually. But I'd also like to be able to make a simple 3d model in the end, and for that reason I'd like to have all the frames back, in all windows. If I select all windows and let the archicad change empty opening to specific window type with specific frame (let's say that all have indentical frame and grill pattern), it will unfortunatelly change all window's size too. 1st 2nd and 3rd floor windows are different (2nd and 3rd are higher). I can do it one by one, but I'd like to save some time and effort.
Is there any way I can do it ?
Put in the windows with frames, then go to the Filter and Cut Elements in 3D dialog box and uncheck Window, just the openings will be show in 3D. To do the same for Elevations, go to Model View Options (MVO) > Options for Construction Elements > Window Options: Show Opening Only.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David, thanks for these great tips.
When we have windows ready, changing it to be able to see openings only, looks easy .
But I have openings inserted already, does it mean I have to change them to windows manually?
There is no way to pick one window type and let the archicad change all openings to this one type, leaving the windows' size same as the empty openings ?

If it's about roof:

I'm trying to make multi-plane roof using spacebar and magic wand on the shape with one curved line but this is what happens - the highest roof point is created in the middle, whereas I'd like it to be at the top right corner.
Solution
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
kielbasa wrote:
One option is to select all the empty openings (best done in 3D Window), open the window's settings dialog box, navigate to the desired window's folder in the dialog box, then option+command click (icon should change to the syringe) on the desired window. The openings will be changed to the desired window at the original windows' sizes, but any settings that do not exist in the original window will come from the default window's settings.
Another option is to set up one window for each size of opening, then option-click (eye-dropper) the set up window and command+option click (syringe) each corresponding empty opening. These are the Mac keyboard shortcuts, there are corresponding ones for Windows
kielbasa wrote:
If it's about roof:
Click on the Pivot Line for the side of the roof that needs to be vertical, when the pet palette appears select the Custom Plane Settings option (upper right), in the dialog box select the Plane Type: Gable option. Repeat for the other straight side.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Anonymous
Not applicable
David, Thank You for Your tips and patience. It all works how You described.
You helped me a lot, really appreciate it.
Learn and get certified!