Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rotating view vs rotating building in Archicad 26

Gonzo666
Booster

Hello,

until now, it has been always suggested to start a project by rotating the whole building -and site-, placing it in orthogonal way and setting the true north according to this rotation. 
This was due to the inaccuracies and other issues occurring when placing the building as in real life, with the true north facing upwards and, subsequently rotating the view to draw orthogonally.

Is this still the recommended workflow in Archicad 26 or have some of the issues been solved? 
I am asking because I find it much more comfortable to rotate the view, instead of the whole object, in order to draw orthogonally.
I want to skip the step of hot-linking the project to another file when exporting an IFC in its real position and not related to the survey point. 

I’d appreciate your thoughts and experience on this matter.

7 REPLIES 7

Archicad 26 has the Survey Point feature so you can designate a reference point of your building to project 0 and draw everything orthogonally. You then use the survey point tool to set project north and its world coordinates. IFC can then be output using the survey point as the reference to export it to its real world location and collaborate with the other project team members. 

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/26/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0&rhmapid=#t=_AC26_Help%2F020_Confi...

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

I always have a site file with north oriented up, and a separate building file with it situated 90° on the page. I then hotlink the two into each other as needed. Easier to keep them separate as they can each have their own orientation, as well as having the Z level set to real world elevation in the site, and the zero set to top of first floor slab in the building file.

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System

Thank you for your reply regarding the survey point.

Regarding rotation of the whole object vs rotation of view, to avoid inaccuracies:

would you also suggest to work with a rotated object, instead of rotating the view, on archicad 26?

Thank you for your answer. That was very helpful

That is what I have been doing until now. Seems like it still is the way to go with AC 26.

Yes, we rotate the survey point to indicate true north but keep the building at x,y (orthogonal). The floor plans and site plan all line through on stories. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Thank you very much

I really only keep them in one file if the site is a basic rectangle and is flat. But once you have to "site" a building (or more than one) and elevate, and grade, etc., yes, MUCH easier with a separate site file. 🤙

Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System