Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Rounded type stone wall base - Custom Profile?

rob2218
Enthusiast
see attached.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
I think you only have 2 options.
One is to model each stone individually - not impossible but not very practical.
Or create a complex profile as you have done, so it look reasonable in section.
Apply a surface material that has a stone hatch associated so it looks good in elevation.
That surface material could also be set up with bump map and displacement so it looks a bit lumpy in renderings as well if that is important.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
thanks Barry.
I thought that was the case.
it seems there is no way to create an irregular type stone profile like that.
I suppose that if I tried to just do that jagged shaped profile....it may end up looking strange cause you'll see horizontal lines running across the base too evenly huh?

hum...I may just do a slanted wall, add some texture map to it with some vectoral hatch pattern of similar round stones and call it a day.
Seems that's my only recourse.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Barry Kelly
rob2218 wrote:
I suppose that if I tried to just do that jagged shaped profile....it may end up looking strange cause you'll see horizontal lines running across the base too evenly huh?

Not if you use a spline to create the profile.
Curves won't show any horizontal lines (unless you see the top or bottom of the curve).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
How about a wobbly line for the outline of the shape for section and just keep it as the 'box' shape for vectorial hatch and texture?
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
rob2218
Enthusiast
I could use a spline but any curved line when put into a profile causes havoc at corners if they aren't exactly meeting up just right. Strange Archicad resolution issues occur.
Besides, a curved line will take longer to process too and it's not that important to have.
Also, I could use that "sketchy" linetype as the profile linetype and just use a flat, canted sloping wedge of a profile. Maybe that's the way to go.

Trick the section into looking like a wiggly line, yet have the 3d model just have a flat canted wedge profile as the stone base and have texture on it.....
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
rob2218 wrote:
Also, I could use that "sketchy" linetype as the profile linetype and just use a flat, canted sloping wedge of a profile. Maybe that's the way to go.

Trick the section into looking like a wiggly line, yet have the 3d model just have a flat canted wedge profile as the stone base and have texture on it.....
That's excactly what I meant
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5