Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

SEO & Curves

OBERMEYER
Booster
SEO objects made with curves generate 'fencing' geometry with site mesh as the target. This image show two slabs drawn with the same curves. One slab is lower than the other. (ignore the stair in this image, there is no SEO on the stair). Is it not possible to offset SEO objects made with the same curved geometry?

Andrew Obermeyer | Architect

OBERMEYER Architecture

www.obermeyer.la

AC 26 Mac M1
3 REPLIES 3
Eduardo Rolon
IIRC, to "avoid" this you will need to have the same amount of nodes in the Slab as in the Mesh and in the same position. This means that the Operator might end up with more nodes.
You might also need to verify that the curves match by converting them to straight segments and then create the curve.
---
These are all work arounds and it shouldn't happen. My guess is that AC generates different segments based on the nodes and in these cases they fail to match.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

OBERMEYER
Booster
Testing options to recreate the error.

Not much discipline to my tests yet, just trying to recreate the 'fence' error and finally got it on the 6th try. Every previous slab was constructed using a magic wand tool within a pre-drafted shape made of lines or polylines. The 'error' occurs when the 2D shapes used to generate the slabs are constructed independently. In other words, if a shape (2D or slab shape in plan) already exists and as we're designing we decide to align another slab to that shape, if we do not use the same 2D shapes and simply model the new slab using the 2D slab modeling tools then the nodes of the new spline will never match the nodes of the 2D linework...resulting in a lovely 'fence'.

I'm moving on now, and will continue to attempt the results we need within this limitation. Curious if there is more thorough instruction on this, no time for me to dig into it further.
Andrew Obermeyer | Architect

OBERMEYER Architecture

www.obermeyer.la

AC 26 Mac M1
Barry Kelly
There is no such thing as true curves in Archicad.
All curves are made up of multiple straight lines.
So the mesh you are creating on each side of the curve may have different faceting on the adjoining curves, resulting in the 'gaps' causing your 'fencing'.

The best thing you can try s to ensure the start and end points of the adjoining curves are the same.
That way they should facet the same and you won't get the 'fencing' problem.
No guarantee though as you can't always control the faceting.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11