Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Safety for BIM construction

Anonymous
Not applicable
I work for construction company
And I am looking for some ideas for construction safety using BIM (Archicad)
We made some animation for construction process simulation, Equipment related simulation...etc prior to construction on site

any interesting idea on construction safety???
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are thinking of what's called 4D Simulation (time lapse animation) unfortunately ArchiCAD is not to strong on this. There is a construction simulation add-on that might do what you want but it is rather limited. I had hoped that the renovation filters would be flexible enough to adapt for this (or at least do phasing) but sadly they are not.

On the other hand I have used ArchiCAD to created phased stills for things like site logistics analysis. For setting up scenes and views to create still ArchiCAD is hard to beat.

For the 4D stuff I export to NavisWorks which works very well. I have the full Manage package but the much less expensive Presenter version has all the stuff you need for simulation. I imagine that Cinema 4D could work as well. It has very sophisticated animation tools but AFAIK doesn't link to scheduling software (which NW does).

For the modeling in ArchiCAD you will probably need some custom parts for the safety stuff. There are limited libraries of staging and construction equipment. You can get some from the SketchUp 3D warehouse but these have to be used as non-parametric one offs (unless you want to do a bit of scripting). As far as safety equipment goes (cabling, tie offs, etc.) you're pretty much on your own.

I could go on but have to get back to work. HTH.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Archicad is a very good in combination with Synchro. We have used Navisworks in the past, but Synchro is now an industry standard.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Miki wrote:
Archicad is a very good in combination with Synchro. We have used Navisworks in the past, but Synchro is now an industry standard.
I haven't used Synchro for about four years. So they have it working well now? Back then they could only import DWF. We also had some serious reliability problems.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We made Library for our own equipments and machineries ( Some GDL)
Animation by artlantis and then premier to edit

4D Simulation is one of them but more often we made more detailed information for part of building process

I am planning to make general animation for safety induction for site and specific simulations for every project needs

sometimes we only make rendered images and use powerpiont to make it look like animation (if we do not have time to do so)

Cause I work for construction company, we assume as 'using archicad itself' is the safety factor ( pre construction before the real construction)

Thanx for the advice on S/W I shall try Synchro and cinema4D
I try to use VICO for what naviswork does. I found Navis work is just an animation 4D

I wish if anyone have case study that he/she can share with
Anonymous
Not applicable
arch1tect wrote:
I found Navis work is just an animation 4D
Just to be sure you know, Navis does link to Primavera and MS Project schedules. It's not just animation.

Miki,

Have you been using Synchro for real schedule modeling and/or project management? By which I mean actually coordinating with and assisting project schedulers and managers. So far I have only seen it used as an eyewash/presentation tool. The difficulty of data entry and maintenance combined with reliability issues have so far made it unattractive to the schedulers and PMs I know.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sure. I'm working for Mortenson Construction, and we use Synchro almost exclusively. Basically every project is using a full 4D model. Nice thing about Synchro is that it is actually a full scheduling software if you want. It preserves all schedule relationships and do quick scenarios directly in Synchro.
You can watch a case study from the last Synchro conference here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV6BXWL0Tf0
I like Navisworks for many reasons (my project was actually on the cover of Navisworks 2012 series), but for 4D Synchro is superior. During last AU we Navisworks guys asked all major contractors during Navisworks support session who is using Synchro for 4D and almost all are using Synchro.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am checking on Synchro Thanx for the information.
I need to use program to be adaptable to existing 4D program and system
such as SAP, MS Project, primabera etc... and Local 4D and 5D
anyway thanx alot for feedbacks