BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Scale with Plan and Scale Independent

toman311
Enthusiast
I am confused on the two option available, which is "Scale with Plan" and "Scale Independent" under Line Types. Scale Independent seems to do what I want it to do. Does anybody have an example of when I would use "Scale with plan"?
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Scale with Plan" would be used when you want elements of the line type to remain a scaled distance apart. An example might be a fence where the fence posts are 2.0m apart, you want them to be 2.0m at 1:100, 1:50, 1:20 etc. so they will remain measurable at any scale.
"Scale Independent" will stay the same size on paper through different scales.

Hope this makes sense.

(btw you can delete the duplicate threads you started before people reply to them )
Barry Kelly
I can't say I ever use scale with plan very often but it will do just that.
The dashes in your line will increase/decrease with the plan so they will always look in the same proportion.
The dashes will get bigger or smaller but the number of them will stay the same.

With scale independent the dashes will adjust size (and number) so the line will always appear the same regardless of the scale.

The same with text - it either stays the same printable size (scale independent) so appears bigger or smaller as you scale the plan or the size will increase/decrease with the plan scale (scale with plan).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!