BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sections "ghosted" behind Exterior Elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hand drafting is still important in making refinements.

How often have I printed an exterior elevation to be refined by hand with my pencil, remember pencils?, only to ask for a section and finish floor line on the printout, for reference.

Why not simply ghost in the structure beyond the wall? This way any modifications to the exterior elevations can be precise and accurate, just as plan modifications are aligned accurately with stories below.

(Which brings to mind another wish, ...that ghosted "existing" plans be shown on the "proposed" plans and be available as such in Plotmaker. This would facilitate demo plans, as has been mentioned before.)
8 REPLIES 8
All of this is currently possible. While there are several approaches that work, a very easy one is to realize that views can be "stacked" on top of each other. You could have a transparent elevation view overlaying a section view. The section view could use a different pen set to gray everything out.

I'm wondering if you have actually used V10 yet. You make reference to Plotmaker, which no longer exists.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Djordje
Ace
This was also possible in PlotMaker, by the same stacking method.

Be sure that something CAN NOT be done before you post a wish.

I should really delete this thread, but will just move it where it belongs.

Please, guys - let's RESEARCH first, and post later ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am asking for an exterior elevation with the section ghosted behind it, to be printed out for hand drafting overlay with a pencil, ...just to refine things to scale with a positve section as a reference.

A-10 will do exterior elevations but the embedded plotmaker won't print out the ghosted sections, unless you do what you say to do, ...but that's not GHOSTED, it's a bunch of layers stacked and etc.

I researched ArchiTalk and recognized nothing useful.

We've only been using ArchiCAD for a few ...YEARS.

Slaps on the wrist are less helpful than an appropriate tip or two.

Or, if I've not made myself clear, ...say that.

I suppose I should forward this around the office now.
TomWaltz
Participant
Do you want the elevations just gray? You could do that with a different Pen Set.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm thinking of a GHOSTED function, as in Plan View. : -)
TomWaltz
Participant
Jay wrote:
I'm thinking of a GHOSTED function, as in Plan View. : -)
Right. Archicad does not do that, so I was trying to offer a way to get the same result.
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Right. Hence "wish list."
Djordje
Ace
Jay wrote:
Right. Hence "wish list."
Already there. Do a Search before posting and vote in the existing poll.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Learn and get certified!