BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Select in 3d, SHOW in 2d

Anonymous
Not applicable
As the topic says how can I tell it to show me the object i select in 3d to show it in 2d ? it doesn't need to show me just the object, it can show me the whole project but have the objected selected...
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
For a long time I struggled to select objects, but I just can't GRAB THEM. Either they just won't get selected or I get another object that I don't want. So I understand why you turned to 3D, it's easier to make a selection that way. But there's a problem in 3D... it's hard to move objects accurately on the x-y plane.

Before you go into 3D, try to play with the 2D window. There are different ways to select an object. There's the quick selection, which is convenient when selecting large area objects. But for a group small objects, you might want to draw a selection area ( it can be any shape, usually rectangle ).

Now, as for objects that's hard to grab, move your cursor around the objects, especially the corners, because that's where the 2D hotspots are located. Think of 2D hotspots as spots on the objects which you can grab with you hands.

Finally, if all fails, like you did, switch to 3D, select the object, and move it to the ArchiCAD Layer ( or any layer that contains no objects, the ArchiCAD layer is usually empty for the 2D window), then, using the Quick Layers, hide all layers, except for the one the object is on. This way the object you want to select will be the only object visible on the 2D window, select it, and make other layers visible again.

Unfortunately this seems to be the only way to select an object in 3D and then select it in 2D.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
The following seems to work for me:

1. Bring up the Window\Palettes\Selections Palette.
2. Save the selected elements as a Selection.
3. Notice what their Home Story setting is (e.g. 1. Story)
4. Use the Project Map to navigate to that story in 2D.
5. Double-click the saved Selection to select them on the Floor Plan.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Stress Co_
Advisor
alexwang32 wrote:
... I just can't GRAB THEM. Either they just won't get selected or I get another object that I don't want. …..
In plan, if you have multiple elements sharing a common point, you can
toggle through the objects but tapping the "TAB" key. Select more than one
object by "shift" clicking (shift click to de-select, too). If you have tracker
turned on, it will tell you there are Multiple elements.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Before you go into 3D, try to play with the 2D window. There are different ways to select an object. There's the quick selection, which is convenient when selecting large area objects. But for a group small objects, you might want to draw a selection area ( it can be any shape, usually rectangle ).
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This feature has been implemented in Archicad 25.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!