Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Show line at intersection of two forms

Dave Seabury
Advocate
I have a small log structure that i am working on. To get the line at the intersections of the logs to show i have been using SEO's but it is slowing AC down quickly. Searching the form, it appears that i can turn on intersection lines between forms in the special menu. But i cant find where to turn it on,
anyone know how/where to turn this on?

Thanks in advance

David

Elk Horn Cabin 6.jpg
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
You need to modify your Windows Registry (or .plist file on a Mac) to enable the Special Menu.

http://archicadwiki.com/SpecialMenu

Then you need to mofify your Work Environment to include the Special Menu.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=205875&highlight=special+menu#205875

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Dave Seabury
Advocate
Thanks Barry!

I'm almost there, any idea which command will show the lines?

David
AC 19-24 Windows 10 64 bit, Dell Prercision 7820, Xeon Silver 2414R ( 12 Cores), 64 GB Ram, Quadro RTX 4000 8GB
Barry Kelly
Sorry I have no idea.
Might be a case of trial and error on a copy of your project.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
PB
Advocate
Dave, I'm curious......have you built up the walls with individual logs?

If so, would it work better if you created a custom profile for your log walls (perhaps the intersection lines would then appear)?.....or are you using the log wall option within the wall tool? - this appears to provide the intersection lines you seek....(atleast for me...)
AC27 Apple Silicon. Twinmotion.
16" M1 Max MacBook Pro 32GB, Apple Studio Display, MacOS14
Dave Seabury
Advocate
Barry and PB

Trial and error it is, I'll post back which one it is incase some one
else ever needs to find this. PB In the screen shot i attached you
will notice that the upper logs are extended out to the fascia line to
support the roof. I could not figure out a clean easy way to do this
with the wall tool. In addition, Once the engineering is done I am sure,
due to heavy snow loads, the structural roof logs are going to get larger
then the wall logs. Thanks for the idea though!

David
JaredBanks
Mentor
Dave,

I've done some log cabins using the complex profile wall concept and it works decently. The extended logs get a little tricky but can be handled with adding those on separately or extending the walls and the SEOing them.

Any which way, log cabins are a pain to model. Another thought though, if you are using beams for the longs... instead of SEO, try beam priority. If the N-S longs are a lower priority than the E-W logs, they will be cut.

Beautiful model by the way!
Jared Banks, AIA
Shoegnome Architects

Archicad Blog: www.shoegnome.com
Archicad Template: www.shoegnome.com/template/
Archicad Work Environment: www.shoegnome.com/work-environment/
Archicad Tutorial Videos: www.youtube.com/shoegnome
Dave Seabury
Advocate
Thanks Jared!

I modeled the logs using Objective with a taper to them. I deleted the taper and now the seo's are not slowing things down as much. As far as the special menu goes, never found the command for show intersection of forms

David
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Dave wrote:
I modeled the logs using Objective with a taper to them. I deleted the taper and now the seo's are not slowing things down as much. As far as the special menu goes, never found the command for show intersection of forms
If you're experiencing any slowdown that is possibly linked to curved faces in profiled objects (made with OBJECTiVE), you could try adjusting the smoothness to find an optimum balance between speed and visualisation.

If you look at the custom settings for OBJECTiVE profiles, there is an item labelled 'Faceting' (see image). This is the tolerance for curved faces, i.e. how far the approximation to a curve is allowed to deviate from the true curve. The higher you make this value, the more course the curved faces will appear in 3D (but also, the faster they work with SEOs and other 3D operations). You might find that a higher value will allow you to keep the tapered edges without causing too much of a performance hit with SEOs.
ObjSettings.jpg
Ralph Wessel BArch