Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Simple drawing

Johann_P
Advocate
A basic question from the new guy.......

I have 2 windows and a door on elevation.

The one window I would like to space equally between the door and corner.
The other window I would like the same distance from the door.

Is there a way to move and "Auto Centre" the 1st window and "mirror around door" the second window?
Is it possible to "lock" the dimensions, so the spacing remains equal if the door moves?
ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Johann.P wrote:
For the other new kids like me: an explanation below.
For the advanced Archicad users: This the best way of doing it?

1) Hover on the on side of the wall portion/door frame until the select circle shows.
9) Hover on the center of the window and wait for the select circle to show up.

Now you can drag the window to the center of the wall section.

This is how I do it. These operations can seem complicated when spelled out step-by-step, but ar very quick when internalized, so done without thinking about each step.
1. Select the Window Tool, and have the desired window set up.
2. Have the Snap Points set to Half (I have the Control Box visible in my Workspace Scheme for accessing this setting, but it remains on Half 95% of the time).
3. Use the keyboard command for Snap Point Constraint (if you do nit currently have a keyboard shortcut for this command, create one in your Work Environment).
4. Click on the corner, then click on the jamb of the door, the Window appears at the midpoint.
5. Click on the outside side of the Wall.
The Window is placed halfway between the corner and the door jamb. After having the correct Window set up in the Window Tool (which could be set up by option-clicking on an existing window with the correct settings) this is a four step operation without waiting for a temporary snap point to appear, about one or two seconds.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Johann.P:

You can use Snap Points on Temporary Vector to center the window between the door and corner. You can then Mirror a Copy of the window to place a second window based on the center of the door. Both of these can be done in the plan view.

There isn't a way to link these elements so if one moves the others adjust.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Johann_P
Advocate
Thanks David,

1) Hover on the on side of the wall portion/door frame until the select circle shows.
2) Press Shift + Q
3) Repeat on the other side of the wall.

You've now created a "temporary vector"

4) Hover at the approximate center of said vector and wait for the half way mark to show up.
5) Hover on the half way mark and wait for the select circle.
6) Press Shift + Q

You've now created a temporary center of the temporary vector.

7) Select the window.
8.) Press Ctrl + D

ArchiCAD24 - since Nov 2020
Revit - 2005 to 2020
Windows 10 Pro
2 screens: nvidia quadro RTX 4000
Solution
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Johann.P wrote:

This is how I do it. These operations can seem complicated when spelled out step-by-step, but ar very quick when internalized, so done without thinking about each step.
1. Select the Window Tool, and have the desired window set up.
2. Have the Snap Points set to Half (I have the Control Box visible in my Workspace Scheme for accessing this setting, but it remains on Half 95% of the time).
3. Use the keyboard command for Snap Point Constraint (if you do nit currently have a keyboard shortcut for this command, create one in your Work Environment).
4. Click on the corner, then click on the jamb of the door, the Window appears at the midpoint.
5. Click on the outside side of the Wall.
The Window is placed halfway between the corner and the door jamb. After having the correct Window set up in the Window Tool (which could be set up by option-clicking on an existing window with the correct settings) this is a four step operation without waiting for a temporary snap point to appear, about one or two seconds.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture