Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Sizing trouble in Material Settings

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I create a new material in the Material settings box, I set the Sample button for 1x1. But when I put the material on a wall or a slab, it keeps reverting back to 2x2. I go back and reset to 1x1, but can't seem to make it work. Any thoughts on this?

Also, what's the best way to create seamless tiling of materials such as fabrics, floor finishes, etc. I would imagine it's done in Photoshop, correct?
6 REPLIES 6
Dwight
Newcomer
First of all, who cares that you see 2x2? It doesn't affect the mapping. More important is the flipflop - radio button diagram in the box - how the map is applied. Play with that if you want a mess.

In Mac TEXTUREMAGIC is the cheap way to make seamless textures, but the craft is a subtle one, because even if the texture can be made seamless, it might still "pulse"

In LightWorks, the pulsing can be hidden with maps of differing sizes overlaid as masks, but this detracts from the detail precision of the texture.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Actually, 1x1 is important for me, as I'm using jpgs of paintings to put on my walls. Any fixes for this?
Dwight
Newcomer
NOW I understand.
How far back do we need to go?

As a picture map object:

To put up a wall picture, you need an object Parapicture or a picture object that calls the JPEG file, not to make a material from your painting.

Not that it can't be done, but ArchiCAD doesn't put up just one instance of a map in a material - like Abvertlantis AAArgh! (new nikname - say it like a pirate would) - it always infnitely tiles the map in a material.

But, doing it as a material:

You want to make a painting canvas with the wall tool exactly the size of your painting, and map the material to it using the material alignment tool in 3D to get the origin of the material to match the corner of the wall canvas thingy.

I'm too busy to look up the picture object name - can anyone else guide this guy?
Dwight Atkinson
Andy Thomson
Advisor
1x1, 2x2 is just a preview of how the new material will tile - I believe. Change the actual size of the thing in the same dialogue if you want just one application of the image, right?

A
Andy Thomson, M.Arch, OAA, MRAIC
Director
Thomson Architecture, Inc.
Instructor/Lecturer, Toronto Metropolitan University Faculty of Engineering & Architectural Science
AC26/iMacPro/MPB Silicon M2Pro
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight showed me the way, as Peter Frampton would not say. You look up Picture in the Object tool, and you can call up a jpeg with your art. That way, you avoid the tiling issue.

Thanks for the tips, Dwight. And don't burn those ribs.
Dwight
Newcomer
Lip-smackin' fine they wuz, too. Not every day you can get beef grease all over your face and just pitch the bones in the yard. Wife home tomorrow.
Dwight Atkinson