BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Skirting lines on complex wall

jimothwald
Participant

Hi

This is im sure a quick thing to fix but I can work it out. I have a PB wall with skirting modelled as a complex profile. When I insert a door opening it cuts through the wall but leaves the outer most line of the skirting showing either side of the opening. I cant figure out how to get rid of it. I don't want to have to model everything as beams/complex profiles for the skirting sperate from the walls really. 

Any suggestions welcome!
Screenshot 2023-06-21 164950.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly

Can you place a marquee around one of the door frames and show the 3D view?

BarryKelly_0-1687399960282.png

I'd like to see if the door goes to the bottom of the wall.

In other words is the base of the door set at the base of the wall?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Hi Barry.

Please see below. Door is set to the floor along with the associated wall. The frame doesnt seem to touch the wall though, which must be dictated by the skirting in the complex profile.

jimothwald_0-1687428646530.png

After thought like @Barry Kelly in the door & wall bottom and I see that's perfect,
I assume you set the door settings - floor plan & section panel - Wall Contour Lines to be Both sides, try to change it to Off in all doors, I hope it works.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB
jimothwald
Participant

Hi Mahmoud. Yes Ive checked that as I thought the same as you. Its inline with the skirting so it seems to be unable to slice through it properly when the door is inserted. I might try moving the skirting up in the CP by 10mm and see if that works

I just set a wall up and have the same problem.

There are a couple of solutions but they may cause other problems.

One being that you will not see the skirting at all.

One is to set the wall floor plan display to be 'cut only' instead of 'projected with overhead'.

The other is to play with the Floor Plan Cut Plane settings.

You set the 'relative floor plan range' to be a height just above the skirting height.

This will affect everything in your plan.

Or you can set the 'absolute display limit' to a height just above your skirting height.

Then you set the walls to show

BarryKelly_0-1687487195746.png

Then for each wall with a skirting you change the 'show projection' setting to 'absolute display limit'.

BarryKelly_1-1687487459335.png

Another option where you will see the skirting (but not across the door) is to use the wall accessories add-on.

You need to install the goodies to use this.

If you are using Archicad 26 and do not have the goodies installed then you need to follow this procedure, or you will not see the goodies in the menus.

Re-install Archicad 26 (repair option is fine.

Do not start Archicad.

Install the goodies.

Install the latest Archicad update.

Now you can start Archicad and you will see the goodies.

You must also load the Accessory Library that you can find in the Archicad program folder.

BarryKelly_2-1687488174970.png

There is also an 'interior wizard' that is similar to a wall accessory but works on the zone of the room rather than individual walls.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27

@Barry Kelly So at last he has to avoid modelling the skirt inside the complex profile wall and remodel it alone, I do model the skirt solely as a complex profile adjacent to the complex profile masonry wall and that's visually correct.

As to avoid those two lines Inside & outside I have to set the door frame width to equal the wall width at skirt level, I see it's unlogic.

AC 27 INT 5003/WIN 11
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

Looking into it a little more, it seems the cut lines (and fill) of the wall are eliminated.

But the projected lines are not.

So another option would be to lower the Floor Plan Cut Plane to just below the top of the skirting height.

You will however then see a fill for the skirting, but you can set the building material so it has an empty fill.

Then it will be an empty fill in section as well.

Ever decreasing circles it seems, but we can not get to the point we want!

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

I'm not saying it is perfect to model this element separate from the wall, in terms of time spent, but if this project is supposed to be 'BIM' and you will have to share IFC-export, you will probably find that you need to be able to use a different classification for the wall and the skirting, which can only be solved by modelling it as two separate entities.

It's also nice to be able to control pen weights, visibility etc of both elements.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Learn and get certified!